1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Headlight wiring in Steering Column

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tfidler, Oct 21, 2007.

1. tfidler

tfidler New Member

I have a 1999 GMC Suburnban 1500. I have 2 wires broken on the connector of the blinker/dimmer switch on the left side of the column. It is black connected into a 2-3" black box. I can fix the broken connectors if I can get it unplugged. Should it unplug? It is being held in by the plastic tabs or do other parts need to come off?

The original problem caused by headlights to go off and on when adjusting the steering column up and down.

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Got a picture you can post? Most of the newer connectors are a pain. I broke off the tabs on the connector to my temp sender. My 93 is older and the plastic is brittle.

3. tfidler

tfidler New Member

Temporary Fix

I made a temporary fix by using a straight pin pushed into the plug side and then wrapped the wire around with a piece of tape.

4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Without seeing what we are talking about it is tough to say.

I know the older dimmer switches had the wires permanently attached to the turn signal switch that is part of the headlight dimmer switch. As far as the newer ones I am not sure.

One way to be sure is to go to a local parts store and ask to see a dimmer switch. They should have one in stock. Then you can have a better idea as to what you are dealing with. Most of the parts stores I deal with are good about things like this if the guys behind the counter are not sure they are more than happy to learn themselves.