1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Headlights dim sometimes

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Aiblinger, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

I searched the forums to see if there was a thread on this and I didn't find anything. Does anyone else with a 2007+ Silverado ever notice their headlights dimming? Mine dim slightly (but noticably) every once in a while. This has been happening since I bought the truck but since it is not really significant, I haven't had the dealership investigate anything. If anyone else sees this happening in their truck, I would like to hear about it and if there is a fix for it. Thanks in advance!
  2. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

No sorry, nothing like that with my truck as far as i have noticed. I'll check my truck the next time i drive. when have you noticed this? whats the specs of your truck?
  3. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

This doesn't seem to happen under a certain set of circumstances, it just happens. :neutral:

I am in the Army, so it is very often dark when I drive in to work and when I drive home. The headlights dim at least once almost every time I drive in darkness (and probably in daylight, too... can't see it then though). I don't notice them getting brighter again so that must be a slow process building back up to their usual strength. I have never had anyone flash their hi-beams at me for it but I have noticed it happening with oncoming traffic... I wonder if they ever notice it.

My truck is a 2007 Vortec Max 6.0L 4x4 extended cab. I bought it new back in Jan of '07. The truck now has about 19000 miles on it.
  4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

hmm not sure what to tell you. i have the 07 Lt1 5.3 and haven't noticed it. like i said i'll keep an eye out when i drive in the dark next time and get back to you on that.
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not an expert here by any means and I guess it all depends on how much the lights are dimming but I do think that is normal. Most likely they dim when an accessory comes on like the A/C or the fan. They draw amp out away from the electrical system and the lights dim. If memory serves me correctly my lights did that on the Jeep before I switched them over to projector headlights. I've not driven the Jeep much since then so I'm not sure if they still do or not.

Usually the lights would dim slightly when the fan would come on for the little bit.

I'm sure you'll get more input on it. Again, no expert here, just my $.02.
  6. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

I haven't noticed it on my 08 yet. My buddy with an 07 says his does that as well. Something to with some kind of power saver mode or something I think he said. I haven't reasearched it yet. I have noticed that sometimes my battery level is at like 12.5 to 13 volts and then the next time I look at it, it is back to normal at 14.2 volts. Keep an eye on that next time as well.
  7. Aiblinger

Aiblinger New Member

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I will watch to see what my charging system is doing the next time I see the dimming happen. Also, I'm glad to know it is not just my truck that does it. Keep the info coming!
  8. road rash

road rash New Member

Agreed X2 Mine does this as well and It is normal
    Its part of the" battery run down protection" as shown on the factory window sticker
  9. zach45

zach45 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

see if it happens when you put up the window or something that would draw some power from the truck
  10. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mine's not an '07, but I notice my headlights dim a little when I roll the windows up or down. Seems to me that the battery isn't powerful enough. I plan on getting a new one before I try to do any stereo upgrades.