Headlights won't TURN off. Help!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by billetman, May 31, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. billetman

billetman New Member

Hey everyone.

In my 99 silverado my headlights will not turn off. Daylight or night time they will not shut off. They will shut off if I apply the parking brake so I have eliminated that part of it.I have tried pushing the dome override button four times and that didn't make any difference. I recently got ahold of a manual and it does troubleshooting with a gm scanner tool. I dont have a scanner or access to one. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so how was it fixed? I tore the dash apart today and didnt find any loose connections as I could see. Starting with the simple stuff. any suggestions of what maybe it would be? would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

Billetman
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

You have tried using the little turn nob at the dome over-ride button right?
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

Dumb question, but is there something covering the little sensor on your dash? If there is something covering it, your headlights will automatically come on since it will think it's dark. Here is a picture from the outside of the truck of the sensor I am talking about in my dads 99 Silverado:

[​IMG]

I had a receipt covering the one in my truck and my lights were on constantly. And my old company truck I drove at my old job was missing that sensor completely, so the lights were constantly on. Just a thought.
  4. billetman

billetman New Member

kylez71, yeah ive tried the knob at the override button, didnt make any difference.
    jemmeh, theres nothing covering the sensor, I had the dash tore apart yesterday and I could see the wire that plugs into the sensor. It had a good connection from what I can see. I didnt get to carried away with taking the dash apart so I couldnt see where that wire lead to.

Thanks
    Billetman