1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

heated mirror leakage

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by kyleb89, Jul 21, 2005.

1. kyleb89

kyleb89 New Member

Has anyone had a problem with the liquid in the outside mirror dropping onto the paint and damaging it???
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have heard about this problem happeneing in the past. I've not heard that it's caused any paint damage, but if the seal around the mirrors breaks, the viscious liquid inside of it will leak out and they will not heat up like they were designed to do.

This happened on a Suburban on chevysuburbanclub.com and I think the just eneded up calling around to auto glass/mirror places until they found one that stocked it.

Is your paint being damaged from it?
  3. kyleb89

kyleb89 New Member

I think when I got my car washed, it mixed with the liquid, then when I drove off the mixture dripped onto the door. It looks like typical water spots dripping from the mirror, but they have eaten into the paint and couldn't be buffed out. I don't even know how to turn the heat on for the mirror, do you?
  4. ChevyFan

Some late-model cars have "heated mirrors". That's what I thought you were talking about.
  5. ARNIE

ARNIE Rockstar

rear mirrors will come on when the rear defroster is activated.[/b]
  6. ChevyFan

Yeah. The heated mirrors will "defrost" when the rear defrost is turned on. Some of these units have special glass that has is liquid filled to speed up the defrost cycle.
  7. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

You could try to put some clear silicone sealant inside of the mirror to try to route the water to a place where it won't drip on the vehicle. Worth a shot anyhow.