1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heated Seats in 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Karey, Jun 20, 2005.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Karey

Karey New Member

Hello! This is my first post, I picked up a 99 suburban a few months ago. I was excited about the heated seats, but the drivers side doesn't work. Does anyone know how to go about fixing it? I got the specs from a mechanic that did the alignment, but he didn't have the time to check out the seat. Any suggestions???
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

hey, welcome to the Suburban Club.

It could be just about anything from a blown fuse to a loose wire. I would almost always start with the simple and work upwards. Check the fuses and see if there is one that's blown.

Anyone else have experience with this?
  3. ellis

ellis New Member

We've check the fuses and they are fine. I'm wondering if it might be a broken heating element in the seat itself. Anyone know where and what to check as far as voltage readings? What would be involved in replacing the heating elements in the seat?
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

See if the heating elements are the same between the two front seats. if you can swap the one that works out for the one that doesn't you can see if it's the element or the connection to it.
  5. ellis

ellis New Member

^ was thinking about that, but wasn't sure how involved it is to take apart the seat. I want to make sure I plan enough time to work on this or the wifey will be mad if she's without a car because i have the seats in pieces. :shock:
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Bolt some milk crates down in the mean time :lol:
  7. 97bigredburban

97bigredburban New Member

im thinking that it could be a bad fuse also. never can go wrong with checking. good luck on it
  8. 3com

3com New Member

ya the old milk crate trick.
    no seriously tho my vavorite tool for testing electic sercuts is a plain old test light. check the wires under the seat for juice first if the fuses are good. then if the thing has juice going to it i wood say its screwed. if the wife minds the milk crate idea, and mine does. take the passenger seat out. and take the heat unit out of that one. two reasons for that, 1 the wife isnt sitting on milk crate, and two you get to see just how hard it is and how long it will take. or you could just swap the seats from one side to the other. if theyu are both heated and electric it shouldnt take 20 min. to do the swap. then you can work on the bad seat first. if the passenger seat isnt electric just swap the seat not the base that way she still has the adjustable seat and the heat.
    dam dude where are you that you need the heeted seat already?
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

cool now im 3com. no biggy i forgot to login manually but once i did it took it all right steve
  10. ARNIE

ARNIE New Member

99% of those that go bad are the unit itself. The leather bottom has to be unstitched and the unit replaced. Expensive. If you get lucky, and I do mean lucky, the switch will be bad.