1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Heater blower

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Badbrad10, Dec 14, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Badbrad10

Badbrad10 New Member

Gee, here I am again asking a Question on my 99 TahoeZ56 Police 5.7 L engine. This weekend, I had my Tahoe parked inside a heated Garage for few hours ( -20 C outisde) , then drove outside. I had the heater on and fan speed in level 3. Everything working fine. I made a stop at the coffe shop and came out about 20 minutes later, no fan blowing. I turned to all the positons , nothing at any speed. I left it on level 3, and drove manybe 10 minutes and it started working again. Today it acted up again, not working for about 10 minutes then working fine. On the way home from work, no blower at all on any speeds. The 30 minute drive, nothing came on, gloves and fur cap/flaps down all the way home!! I figured maybe having it inside the heated garage, some ice melted and ran down somewhere in the blower area, and once outside in the -20 it froze up once I turned it off at the coffee shop.. Where would I start? fan switch ? blower motor ? or resister. I guess I will have to buy a shop manual for this truck, having alot of gremlins popping up. The truck has 266,000 Km/ 160 ,00 miles. Thanks for any help. Signed.. Cold -frozen Canadian Mountie in Saskatchewan.

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'd start with the blower motor resistor. Its a fairly common thing to go out in those trucks.

3. Badbrad10

Badbrad10 New Member

Blower Motor working now

Last night after driving home with no heat/blower, I placed a small household heater in the cab of the truck overnight. This morning, it was still cool in the truck ( outside -28 C this AM) and as soon as the truck started the heater blower was blowing on level 4 ( where I had left the switch last night) . The blower now works in all speed settings and after the engine warmed up blew good heat. Obviously the cold weather is effecting the switch contacts or blower motor is seizing/ freezing up or a problem with the resistor. Ill have to look into to it more next time( if) it stops working again. Hard to trouble shoot now that it is working, ( fingers crossed). Any ideas, suggestions or anyone that had simuliar problem, let me know. Thanks Brad