1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heater Box question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by L0sts0ul, Feb 18, 2007.

1. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for reading my first post on the forums.

This is my first suburban but not my first truck. I have a lot of plans for this truck but I just need the time to do it.

First off I need to fix some of the problems that it has before I get to aftermarket upgrades.

First problem. I have no Medium, or Low setting on my fan selector. The switch will go to those settings but the fan cuts out and doesn't run at all. Could this be that infamous triple tap resistor somewhere behind the dash?

Second problem. The Rear Air/heat doesnt' work at all? checked fuses, everything is ok so far... any ideas?

Well thats enough for now, Feel free to email me anytime for anything if you think I could help.

thanks again

BTW its a 1993, burb, sle 4x4 with 350, 4L60-E.

thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. It probably is the resistor in the control unit. Do you have the electronic pushbutton control unit, or do you have manual switches?

Regarding the rear fan you need to make sure that the front selector is set to allow control at the back selector. I would test for voltage at the fan, since it's easy to get at. That will eliminate it as being the problem, and needing to be replaced if you don't get any voltage.
  3. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

I thought about that, do you know where the resistor is, and yes its the pushbuttons not manual switches.

I have fully tested the knobs for the rear air, and nothing... I Was goin got pull the casing off and test for voltage at the motor and go from there.

There was an electronic trailor brake in teh truck bfore I bought it, and it was removed... I am just curious as to how ROOKIE the guy was that installed that maybe he messed something up that I Dont know about

thanks
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I've got a 93 burb too. The lights on the controller were out so I thought I'd pull it apart to check the bulbs. I got the controller out but the bulbs are not serviceable. My controller works fine, its just the lights that are non-op. Here is a pic of the controller with the PN.
    [​IMG]
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

If you like dabbling in electronics you can probably unsolder the bad resistors, and replace them. It will probably be a PIA to do though. You might be better off trying to search out that part number and see about replacing it.
    You could try eBay.
  6. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

ok, so are you saying I need to replace the module that I control the heat from?

or rip out the blower motor firsT?

thanks
  7. ChevyTech

ChevyTech New Member

Hi, when you pull down the motor you will see 2 or 3 wires coming out of the housing on the blower. That is the resistor, I believe it to be a 4 speed fan although I may be wrong. This is a comon problem they collect moisture and debris over the years and then *poof* they are gone. GM sells the replacement resistor and it is far better than trying to repair it yourself. No offense to all who have tried or done it, I have had little luck in doing so. The part last time I checked was between $85 and $105. You might strike gold at a parts store and get it cheaper. I don't recomend salvage parts on this matter do to the frequent failure of the part. Hope this helps.
  8. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

NAPA

I just replaced one for a friend in her Impala.

Forget how much it was but I think it was under $50
  9. ChevyTech

ChevyTech New Member

I would try parts stores first as well. Dealer prices are insane. I beleive you are right though NAPA sells the for around$50 or less. VIP sells them as well but I don't know how much.