1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heavy weight in bed

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by no0b123, Apr 15, 2008.

1. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I notice my 4.3L V6 Silverado sags down big time when a lot of weight is added inside the bed. Does my truck not have as strong suspension in the rear as the V8's? For example, if I stand in the back of my truck and jump up and down, the truck lowers drastically and it's like I have a low rider. Granted I weigh 288 lbs. but what if I need to haul a large bookshelf (ect.) which would be heavier, what can I do? I want it so my truck wont droop down when hauling heavy stuff, or towing a heavy trailer. How can I solve this problem?
  2. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the same problem... I can never haul too much cause I'm afraid I'll overload it. My guess is the leaf springs are what is holding us back. I think ours have half as many or something.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would suggest getting a set of firestone air bags for the back.. it will help with your rear end squatting big time
  4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've used roadmaster active suspension in the past and it worked great. No harsh ride like you get the add-a-leaf systems, improved handling a lot, easy to install, and they're relatively cheap.

http://www.activesuspension.com/

I'd have them in my current vehicle if it had leaf springs. :)
  5. no0b123

Ok cool. What are the ballpark figures of adding leaf springs versus new airbags?
  6. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Adding leaf spring will run you like 75 bucks.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The bad thing about adding a leaf is the rear ride hieght will change where as using airbags you can inflate and deflate according to the load you are hauling and still keep your stock ride height.

My 87 Blazer was starting to sag in the rear due to notoriously weak leafsprings and a heavy top so I bought a $75 Add-A-Leaf kit for the rear and once installed, my truck sat higher in the rear so I had to drop from a 4" blocks in the rear to 3" to level it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. no0b123

How much are the airbags, and do they auto-adjust to the weight of the load or do you inflate/deflate them manually?
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is a link for your application. it is the basic kit for what you need but it is manual adjust because if you have no load, you deflate to keep your stock ride hieght and then when under load you inflate. They do make on-board compressors and air tanks to go along with it but your basic kit is only $245.
  10. no0b123

Perfect, thank you dwill3015 :great:
    Your Blazer looks nice leveled out too.