Helllllpppp!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Joe Money, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Joe Money

Joe Money New Member

my amp specifications...

Number of Channels2 RMS Power (4 ohms)1 watts x 2 channels RMS Power (2 ohms)250 watts x 2 channels RMS Power (1 ohm)Not Stable Bridged RMS Power500 watts x 1 channel Total RMS Power Output500 watts Peak Power Output500 watts x 2 channels Total Peak Power Output1000 watts

My sub specifications...

• 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
    • polypropylene cone with Santoprene rubber surround
    • suitable for marine use
    • power range: 50-360 watts RMS
    • peak power handling: 720 watts
    • frequency response: 27-200Hz
    • sensitivity: 88 dB
    • top-mount depth: 6-1/16"
    • sealed box volume: 0.88 cu. ft.
    • ported box volume: 1.5 cu. ft.

Good match? I know the amp cant push the subs alll the way, but will it still be a good combination?? What is the best way to wire them?

Thanks, Joe Money

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would probably bridge it for a single sub. What kind of sub and amp is it?

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What brands are you useing?

4. Joe Money

Joe Money New Member

The amp is a Kenwood KAC-7204, and the subs are Polk Audio db1240s(single voice coil). I have the custom box that fits under the backseat of my '97 1500, So I will be using 2 subs.

Do you think they will be a decent matchup?

THANKS, Joe Money.

5. Joe Money

Joe Money New Member

^^^^bump^^^^

6. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

ok, you aren't gonna get the full output from that amp using those subs. Really you should have 2 DVC subs, or 2x2ohm subs to allow for the 4ohms your amp needs for 500W. Only thing you can really do now, is hook up the subs in stereo, and setup the xover and the HPF/LPF to get the least amount of any midrange outta the subs.

Other option would be to cover and seal one of the holes in the custom box, and just use 1 sub to get the 4ohms you need, and you could see the 500W outta the amp. I believe this would be your best option for the equipement that you have as the 1 sub will see 500w RMS over the 2 subs seeing 170W rms each, and really risking damaging the subs.

Other option... sell the subs and either buy 2x2ohm subs, or 2 DVC 4ohm subs to get the impedance you need.

the option with 1 of your subs is your best option imho.

hope this helps.

7. Joe Money

Joe Money New Member

Thats what I was afraid of. Can you point me in the direction of a few subs that would fit my needs?

THANKS, Joe Money