1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello and ignition cylinder question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by mbailey5947, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mbailey5947

mbailey5947 New Member

Hi there,

My name is Mike and I am new to this site. I just moved to Central Florida with my 94 Suburban all the way from Nashville, TN. My sub has a 454 with 4wd. I am having trouble starting it because there is nothing going on when I turn the key. I had a sorta mechanic buddy look at it yesterday and told me I probably have to replace the ignition cylinder. He told me if I have a lot of keys on my keyring the weight of the keyring can mess up the alignment in the cylinder...not sure about that but ok.
    Anyway he also suggested that I have new keys cut because it could be a worn key but that I would probably have to replace the cylinder. My question is what is involved in getting the cylinder out. Do I have to take off the steering wheel or what. Any feedback would be awesome on this issue. Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to checking the rest of this site out.

Mike B

Brandon, FL
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I wold say that you should order a new cylinder.
  3. John W

John W New Member

If the key turns your problem is somewhere else. Either the switch on the bottom of the steering column inside the cab or the solenoid on the starter. Get a test light and check for power at the solenoid on the small wire at the "S" terminal when you turn the key. If there is power on the "S" and the starter does not activate the solenoid is bad.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  5. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

welcome to the site, your friend is right, if you have alot of weight on your key (i.e. 7+ keys, novelty crap, bottle opener, flashlight, random junk, etc.) the best thing to do is to have your car keys, vihicle specific, on one ring, all other keys on another. this way you wont rip out your ignition cylinder. i know its a little harder to keep up with, but it will save some money and hassle
  6. mfklein24

mfklein24 New Member

well if you have to replace the key cyinder i just did it so i can shed some light. You have to pull the steering wheel off with a puller. Then you have to compress the steering column lock plate (they make a tool for this too. A small ring clip then gets pulled off the column and then you take the compressor off. This lets you get down to the turn signal lever and the key cylinder. You take the screws out for the turn signal and then pull that out of the way. There is one screw holding in the cylinder you take that off, pull out old cylinder, put in new one and put it all back together. You really do need to have that compresser tool to get the ring clip off unless you have 2 people and a few hrs lol to monkey around. I did the whole thing in less than 1 hr. Have fun.

P.S. instructions came with my new key cylinder and they do come with new keys