1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello fellow Chevy owners from a sunny Charlotte, NC.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by treitz3, Jul 27, 2013.

1. treitz3

treitz3 New Member

Hello and good morning to all of you. My name is Tom and this is my introductory post here on this forum. First off, I would like to thank the powers that be for providing a site such as this. I just discovered this forum a few minutes ago and like what I have read so far.

My truck is a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD standard cab, long bed, fleet, 2WD and white in color. If I'm not mistaken, I have the 6.0 that seems to laugh at most of the payloads/trailers I have had hooked up to it. The truck has been babied on the shell but used "as a work truck" elsewhere for close to a decade now, hauling on average between a 2000lb load to a 10,000lb load on a daily basis. I am currently about to hit the 200,000 mile mark and I have decided that now is the time to start getting serious about restoring the truck and doing some upgrades.

In general, this truck has been a faithful and reliable truck. I have only had one major repair which only set me back sub 1K including labor. That was the throttle body control actuator unit. Other than that and the typical tires, oil changes, tranny flushes and other basic maintenance, not much has gone wrong with this truck since I purchased it. The original brakes [never serviced] are still going good and every time I go in to have them serviced, the mechanics always ask me "why?". I proceed to tell them the mileage and they get this deer in the headlight look on their faces.

No, the truck is not perfect. I do have some issues and it is these issues that I would like to take some time this year to address. The issues are the "typical" issues I have noticed with all other trucks my age and model;

Headlights/third light cracked and/or faded/yellowed
    Instrument cluster erratic or malfunctioning
    Slight knocking at the steering column [was not repaired before warranty expired]
    EBCM error [only recently]
    Seats ripped in certain spots

Other issues that aren't so typical that I would like to address are;

Minor body work
    Front drivers side axle sometimes has a "noise" that can be felt on the floorboard and steering column
    Tranny seal leak [very slow]
    Hole in muffler

Upgrades I would like to perform this year;

New rims, OEM Chevy Aluminum, and caps
    Aftermarket billet grill restoration
    Air intake or cold air intake
    Shocks

Other than these minor things, the truck is and has been running like a champ. The looks my truck gets makes me know that she still looks good after all of these years. While I may extract some information from this website and pick at everybody's brains to gather some helpful tips, suggestions or recommendations....In return, I can offer some friendly advice on what I have experienced with my truck and how it was repaired along with some professional cleaning/restoration techniques and things I have heard through the grapevine that can help other folks out who may not have "been there, done that" yet.

Thanks again for providing a site such as this and I look forward to contributing to the community in any capacity I can.

Tom
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

:sign0016:To The Site Tom.....:glasses:
  3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Welcome to GMTC!
  4. treitz3

treitz3 New Member

Thank you, gentlemen for the warm welcome.

I actually forgot to add to the "To do" list, the parking brake issue. Apparently this is another issue that is rather common with the '04 2500HD and other associated models. Once again, this failed after the warranty period had expired so it has not been repaired. It would be nice to have this repaired as well. I would have done it prior to now but it seems that the stealerships want 500 smackers to do anything to this truck. I know there has got to be a simple mod or adjustment that can be made for a permanent repair that costs less than 500 dollars of my hard earned money.

Just got back from the store with a full compliment of Silverstar Ultra bulbs for the headlights, a K&N high flow air filter and a serpentine belt. I really like the K&N filter. Haven't seen the front end of the truck lift up like that since it was new. Nice! Should have some real fun on the 6 hour trip I have planned for tomorrow.

For some reason, I haven't figured out the advanced search on this forum yet so if anybody runs across this and could provide a link to a thread(s) it sure would be appreciated. In time, I will be addressing each and every issue/upgrade on it's own to restore this truck to its full potential.....better than new. Thanks in advance for any input you may have to offer and I look forward to our conversations here.

Tom
  5. Welcome to the site. We were down in Charlotte for the 600. Had a blast. Lots of info here to help you...
  6. treitz3

treitz3 New Member

Hello and thanks for the welcome, jake's silverado. You didn't perhaps camp out at the Red Barn, did you? I saw a setup just like yours across the field to the right of the race car shop.

Tom
  7. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Tom, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!! One of the most thorough introductions I've ever read...Nice :glasses:
  9. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

Welcome to the club Tom I am having the same issue with my parking brake that you are. As soon as I find out something i'll let you know!