Hello fellow truck owners

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by vipstar, Jun 13, 2013.

1. vipstar

vipstar New Member

I recently helped a friend remodel his house. He gave me his 92 chevy truck and some cash in return. It is a single cab stepside 1500 2wd and I have some questions. 1. What kind of transmission do I have? How do I find out if it and the motor is original or if they have been replaced? 2. The steering column is all loose and I wanted to know if it is possible to install the dash and steering column out of a 98 1500 2wd Suburban and how hard it would be to do it myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4x4squared

4x4squared Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Your trans is most likely a 700r4 if it has overdrive. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't go to the 4l60-e til 93. For the engine, check your casting numbers (just google the #). The steering column I'm not sure on. I'd assume it'd work just fine and should be rather easy.

3. vipstar

vipstar New Member

Yeah I found out it was a 700r4. I need to find a good transmission so I can get the truck ready for two hour commutes. Still wish I could get some help out on the dash & steering column swap.

4. 4x4squared

4x4squared Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

yeah the trans will be really easy to find. they started putting them in in 82 so youve got a decade worth of trucks to look at lol if you dont mind losing OD, a 400 or 350 should bolt right up and they seem to last longer (imo)