1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hello fellow truck owners

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by vipstar, Jun 13, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. vipstar

vipstar New Member

I recently helped a friend remodel his house. He gave me his 92 chevy truck and some cash in return. It is a single cab stepside 1500 2wd and I have some questions. 1. What kind of transmission do I have? How do I find out if it and the motor is original or if they have been replaced? 2. The steering column is all loose and I wanted to know if it is possible to install the dash and steering column out of a 98 1500 2wd Suburban and how hard it would be to do it myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4x4squared

4x4squared Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Your trans is most likely a 700r4 if it has overdrive. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't go to the 4l60-e til 93. For the engine, check your casting numbers (just google the #). The steering column I'm not sure on. I'd assume it'd work just fine and should be rather easy.

3. vipstar

vipstar New Member

Yeah I found out it was a 700r4. I need to find a good transmission so I can get the truck ready for two hour commutes. Still wish I could get some help out on the dash & steering column swap.

4. 4x4squared

4x4squared Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yeah the trans will be really easy to find. they started putting them in in 82 so youve got a decade worth of trucks to look at lol if you dont mind losing OD, a 400 or 350 should bolt right up and they seem to last longer (imo)