1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello forum

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by jwpeltz, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jwpeltz

jwpeltz New Member

Hi, I am kinda new here. I researched (as well as I could) my question prior to posting. I have a 2003 Tahoe that has 80,000 miles. When I turn, either direction, and go over a bump, like backing out of my driveway and turning, there is a clunk from the front end. It sounds like it is on the driver side. I have taken it to my Chevy dealership 3 times and every time, the mechanic (suspension expert) says nothing is loose or not any worn bushings. Anyone else have this problem.

Thanks
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hello.

Any problems when driving, any play in the wheel or shimmy or vibration when going down the road?
  3. bbjohn74

bbjohn74 New Member

I think another question to ask is if it is 4WD or 2WD. If it's 4WD it could be a CV joint going bad.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, there are a lot of different options that it could be.
  5. Orthoguy

Orthoguy New Member

I just found this thread...my 2003 is doing the same thing. When I turn to the left I hear a pop in the front left. Mine is a 2wd. No play in the wheel or anything....tight steering. Any thoughts? Not trying t hijack this thread, the last post was in 2006.
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I actually worked on a car once that had a similar problem. Turned out to be the black plastic cover that mounts inside the wheel well. Under certain conditions, bumps, or turns the plastic would stick out far enough to bind on a portion of the suspension, and then pop back into place.
    Made this horrible sounding bang from the driver's side. Trimmed the plastic cover back, and the noise went away.

If it is that, then it's going to be hard to find, since the vehicle is usually in motion when it happens, and you obviously can't run along side watching it.
    See if you can get a helper to stand near by, and watch, and listen for the noise as you drive by.
  7. Orthoguy

Orthoguy New Member

Nope...no lose plastic. It's in the suspension....I think....damn this is frustrating!!!