1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello, from Sugarland, TX

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Georgemat, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Georgemat

Georgemat New Member

Hello GM Truck Club,

Greetings from Sugarland, TX!

I'm an owner of a 2004 GMC Yukon XL(rebadged Chevy Suburban), w/ 150K miles on it. Came upon this site while looking for repair info. Actually, maintenance info. While driving back from Dallas a few days ago, the alternator gave up the ghost while on I-45. Made it to Corsicana, and $365 later at the GM dealer (with a lousy aftermarket part, as OEM was not available without waiting till the next day), got back on the road.

Trying to not have another breakdown, thought I'd do some preventive maintenance. No problems yet, but don't want to take a chance on being stranded anywhere. Changing all the original belts and hoses, along w/ water pump. As I don't have an issue with decent aftermarket parts, Advance Auto Parts is having a special, $30 bucks off $150 purchase, along with a coupon for $50 off $100 purchase issued later in the month. So for under $200 in parts, I should have it all done.

Looks like those heater hose quick-disconnects are going to be the only real PTA's.

Any suggestions or comments? How are Dayco belts/Hoses, and GMB brand water pumps? Also, now that the alternator is replaced, the only thing else I can think of is perhaps the starter? Is it advisable to replace it also? How long do original starters tend to last?

Also, I noticed that some members have replaced the heater hose quick-disconnects with Brass nipples, and then using regular clamps on the hoses. I think I will also do the same. But instead of using brass, can I use copper?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, well, sounds like you have a good handle on it. All I can tell you is I get all my parts from the dealer or Advanced Auto and I have had no problems. Also, I had a 2000 Silverado LS and put 300,000 on it and never replaced the starter and I now have a 2002 LS and it has 150,000 and no starter yet so if it was me I wouldn't fix it if it aint broke. Just my opinion. Welcome to the club man.
  3. Georgemat

Georgemat New Member

Hey Donyms,

Thanks for your response. Ok, I think I will hold off on the starter. I thought it was a little premature. But then, I never thought the alternator would go so quickly...

Glad to know that the Advance Auto parts will be fine to use. I'll order them online tonight.

BTW, Nice lookin' truck ..
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!! Older trucks can be a challenge but also can be very rewarding!! ENJOY!!!:great:
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!! I haven't had to face those issues yet (thankfully), so unfortunately I cannot provide any additional help.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. You should be able to get any help you need here.
  8. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:Welcome to the club and enjoy the site.
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !