1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello From Toronto, Ontario

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Kidkaddy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Kidkaddy

Kidkaddy New Member

Hello Everyone,

Joined the site a few moments ago as I am in the market for a new suburban (I have more kids than you can shake a stick at :happy:) and it seems to be a wealth of information.
    Probably going to go for a 2013 LTZ (just need to find a black one with a middle row 60/40 bench).

I was originally going to buy it in Canada but there is such a huge discrepancy in pricing that it might make more sense to buy it in Detroit or Buffalo and bring it across (advice or tips on this are welcome).

Be well :great:
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Welcome from New Brunswick.

I don't have any "buying a vehicle in the US" experience; but I do know, that the Canadian Feds will add the federal and provincial sales tax to the price, along with whatever other hidden fees (like the $100 AC tax and the luxury tax) is added to vehicles sold in Canada.
  3. canadiantowman

canadiantowman New Member

hope you don't mined driving back to where you bought it to get warranty work done, if you buy in the states.most dealers will not do any warranty work up here.
  4. RayVoy

I believe that is an "old wives tale." I have a Chev Avalanche that was build for, and sold in, the US. I bought it used in '10 (from a Canadian who bought it in the US). I had the warranty transferred at the Chev dealer and any and all warranty work was handled by the local GMC/Buick dealer. Never had a problem getting work covered.
  5. Kidkaddy

Kidkaddy New Member

I did some preliminary calling today and the difference in price on the exact same vehicle is almost 20K.
    That is unreal.
  6. canadiantowman

canadiantowman New Member

You are saying that the warranty was transferred, you got lucky. the dealer that I have been working for checks before they do anything, so gm doesn't send the bill back. most people I've seen don't take the time to transfer the warranty.
  7. RayVoy

I don't see the problem...GM built the truck, GM warrants the truck, GM should fix the truck under warranty regardless of where it needs service.

If you drive a brand new "built for Canada", "sold in Canada" truck to the US, you would expect a GM dealer in the US would fix it.

I fully expect, if a US customer was visiting Toronto and needed warranty work, your "dealer" would fix it under warranty.

It's BS to think that the vehicle needs to go back to the dealer it was purchased from to get warranty work performed.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!
  9. SuMcD

SuMcD New Member

Hi Kidkaddy,

Welcome to the club, and yes there is a wealth of info here, and many helpful knowledgeable people! I am new here myself :)

Anyways I wanted to give you my "tooney" worth. I would definitely call GM Canada Corporation and ask them if they warranty a GM/Chevy vehicle from the USA since GM/Chevy Canada sells to the USA and they buy vehicles from the USA. GM/Chevy Canada buys from the Fort Wayne Indiana plant and the Jacksonville FL plant. So it should stand to reason that they would warranty it if your vehicle came from either of those plants.

Do not give up and ask to speak to the manager in their warranty dept!... If they do say that they follow on the warranty make sure to get it in writing sent to your home address!! Be kind and persistant!!
    If all else fails, let them know that you will post your findings for the world to see what kind of game GM/Chevy is playing.

Good luck on your find!

SuMcD
    2000 Chevy Silverado LS ( imported to GA 1 week ago) manufactured in Fort Wayne Indiana