Hello From Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rajahnme, Oct 6, 2007.

1. rajahnme

rajahnme New Member

:sign0144:

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group and say hello from Wisconsin.
    I drive a 99 silverado NBS. 220K! Still going strong.

I do have an issue that I'm hoping someone here can offer some help with.
    The truck has no power under a load. We've checked backpressure at the 02 Sensor before the converters. That was ok. I've gotten no light lately. I had one a few months ago when the problem first came about. It was a multiple random cylinder misfire. It came once. We cleared it. It's never came up again. This problem started out small and has gotten worse in the past month. MUCH worse. New plugs/wires less than a year ago. Replaced leaking intake gasket year ago. New MAF sensor a year ago. Replaced broken manifold bolt a year ago. It sounds like there is a howl under the truck when you put it under a load and it simply has NO POWER under load either. I hate taking it to a dealer because I'm stubborn, single, and not rich enough to pay the ridiculous price to have it diagnosed. Any suggestions? Has anyone with an older NBS style silverado had to replace injectors? This truck still has the original water pump, starter, and injectors! It leaks or burns NO OIL!! It's paid for, it goes every time I start it, and it's a safe comfortable ride.
    I cant part with it. It just needs a little TLC.

Thanks in advance.

C in Wisconsin.

"There is no word in japanese....for truck."

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome aboard. [​IMG]

As far a your power problem a clogged converter might be your problem. Look at the converter when the truck is running and if it is glowing then it’s clogged and needs replacement.

I will leave any further diagnosis to those more familiar with your year truck.

3. rajahnme

rajahnme New Member

Never thought of that. I'll put it on my dads hoist and run it for a while to see what it looks like. Thanks!

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:sign0016:

The fuel filter been changed? I've had the same symptoms on our fleet of 99 Savanna's. Pretty cheap fix before you spend big bucks.:yes:

5. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: to the party. good luck with fixing your problem with your truck

6. Duranged Mike

Duranged Mike Member

I'd check the fuel filter and cat first as well.

7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016: and good luck with the repair.

8. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:sign0016: BTW Where is Wisconsin? :rofl:

Sorry little Canadian humour there...

9. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Under pressure

:sign0016:
    Good backpressure before the cat pretty much rules out a clogged cat. You say it doesn't have power under a load? What kind of load? Towing or just accelerating? Does it pull well at low speed, but not on ramp speeds?

I have experienced a clogged cat and it wouldn't accelerate well with or without towing a load. Putting around town wasn't as noticeable, but merging speeds on a freeway on ramp was when it was most noticeable.

You mentioned a 'howling' sound under load. Could point to a transmission problem. Smell any burnt almonds?

btw typical pressure before the cat should be 2-3psi. 4 psi or higher indicates excessive backpressure, which could come from the cat, the muffler or a collapsed exhaust pipe.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  10. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well if we don't know where Wisconsin is we do know that Canada is America's hat:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, just a little American humor.:lol: