1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hello! Is synthetic fluid ok in front diff? 93 K1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SumB, Mar 7, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. SumB

SumB New Member

First off hello to everyone! I was waiting to get my new to me 93 K1500 all fixed up before posting some pics and introducing myself but ran into a question I am unsure about.

As the title asks: is synthetic gear oil ok in the front diff of my '93 K1500? I picked up some Valvoline 75w90 synthetic but have read it may cause a leak. Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

some say that changing to synthetic will cause leaks because of conditioners in the oil that swell seals. I have always run synthetic in my trucks, even if I buy them used with high mileage I still switch to synthetic. I have not seen any leaks develop. knock on wood!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. SumB

SumB New Member

Thanks Pikey, I have also heard that too. But the reasoning on this was a little different. I read this model of truck the front diff was manufactured without a gasket and the synthetic might eat the sealant.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the use of silicone sealers they say is attacked by the synthetic gear oil...you will find silicone sealers saying that this sealant will not be damaged with synthetic gear oils... most of the older silicone sealants are damaged and then it will leak... I would use the 80-90 wt for the front diff.. or what ever your vehicle manual states is the correct product...

5. SumB

SumB New Member

I will not risk it then, thanks j cat

6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Early on when synthetics first showed up in the marketplace, there was not any additives similar to regular oils that helped prevent leaks from seals. That got rectified quickly. There is hardly an application today that couldn't work with synthetics. I have used synthetics with RTV sealers and never had a problem.

7. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If you have a 93 that's never had front axle work then it doesn't need a reason to start leaking. I run synthetic in my 97 because of the potential for bearing and gear damage with Dino oil at the low temps we have here