1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hello new here and got my first truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Ihwood, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Ihwood

Ihwood New Member

Well I just turned 16 and my oldmans giving me his 2004 Silverado 4wd 2500HD crew cab. Its got a 6.0 with flowmasters and some 34's I think. But I want to put a lift and 38's So I was wondering how much lift it would be and I will do body but not more that 3 inches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

6" Lift + 3" Body lift and you can put some 37's under there. Don't forget that as you upsize your tires you also need to move to shorter gears and you have to do both diffs since you're in a 4x4.
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

well that is certainly a nice birthday gift! Congrats and welcome to the club.
  4. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to GMTC!
  5. Ihwood

Ihwood New Member

So I am looking at the 9 inch CST lift. If I do that and a 2inch body I should be able to get 38's under it. what do you think.
  6. SurrealOne

Reasonable as long as you regear to go with those 38's. What ratio are you running, now?
  7. Ihwood

Ihwood New Member

I have 4:10's in it right now what would you suggest.
  8. SurrealOne

gear-ratio-chart.gif

Yellow = Best MPG
    Orange = Best Overall
    Red = Best Power

Note: This chart assumes a 4speed tranny (which you have) and the RPM's are for 65mph without overdrive in use. You can also use the comparable numbers on the chart from your factory tire size and gear ratio ... and compare to your projected one to get an idea of a) how much of a dog your truck will be if you don't regear and b) to get a rough idea of how different your mpg is going to be at highway speeds.

The chart suggests 5.13's (or close to it) as the best for 38's. 4.88's are what you tend to see on trucks with 37's, so while I'm unfamiliar with 5.13's ... it seems sane enough.

Surreal

P.S. In addition to the extra money fuel is going to cost you I hope you've priced 38" tires -- they're spendy. Good luck in your endeavor.
  9. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Nice truck! About the best gift a 16 year old could get for their birthday. Be sure to treat her well! And let us know what you decide to do with the lift. Welcome to the club.
  10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It looks like you'll be able to clear 38s with that kit without the need of a body lift. It'll keep all the frame from stickin out too. And like surreal said you probably want to re gear, I'd also get some better brakes, I was 16 with a truck that big not to long ago, pay extra attention you don't stop like everybody else. Nice truck and good luck