1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hellwig bar - do you have one?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jamm3r, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Thinking of putting a hellwig bar on the rear axle due to problems with lateral roll when hauling a big camper.

Anyone done this? How did it work out? Ease of install, effectiveness, any deterioration in road manners?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Drive it like a Vette Yes I have a Hellwig in front and rear and Love it.. A few others on here do too.. Install for a back sway bar about 30-45 mins when you get the bolts loose.. Good luck and let us know if we can be of any help and post pics.. Glenn
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a hellwig front and rear bar. my truck handles better than it ever did. There is almost no body roll, a big difference from the stock sway bars. I did a test. I have a few large sweeping corners near my home, the speed limit on them drops to 35mph. Before I installed the bars I had a hard time staying at 30 mph around the curve. After the install I can easily travel 40 mph around the curve, I could probably go faster but choose not to risk ending up in the forest on one side or the lake on the other. Have you looked at the roadmaster active suspension system? a few guys here have it and like it.

Install was really easy because mine already had a rear bar so I just had to remove the old one and bolt the new one on.

Here is a write up and review I did on my install: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/132761-HellWig-anti-sway-bar-install-and-review
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Thank you both. Pikey, your writeup in the other thread was quite informative.

My 1997 K2500 doesn't have a rear anti-sway bar of any kind. There's a front one.

Pikey, did the upgrade of the front sway bar make a substantial difference, beyond the improvement in handling you achieved by installing the rear one?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did them both at the same time so I can't tell you. I can tell you that when I change the setting of the rear you notice a major difference. I started out where they suggest (3rd hole) After a week I moved it all the way in to the 1st hole. The rear was very tight compared to the front. It would probably ok with a trailer on the back, but it just seemed wrong for everyday driving. So, I changed it to the middle hole. Overall there is much improvement in the front with the Hellwig over stock. The helwig come with urethane bushings, in theory, just that would tighten the front end without the added support of the thicker heavier bar. Any truck that I own from now on will have the helwig bars front and rear.
  6. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I too. went the Hellwig stabilizer bar in front in 1990 Silverado, the towing package spec's out a oversize bar @ 1.25" and I found one at half the price at Summit racing but it was 1.5/16 ??? Just about the same and then I decided I'd do the rear stabilizer bar, It's a 1" bar, from Hellwig and it worked out fine. The truck is 'Taught' but not a rough ride. But it give you great handling when towing a load and going a little fast on the up and into off-Ramps or just around town. No more plowing went you turn corners or plowing while going into off or on-ramps. Just a much better handling situation overall. I installed all new springs front and rear. That helps big-time !