Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HELP! 1998 Chevy Tahoe Transmission failure

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SkeeterG, Sep 25, 2008.

1. SkeeterG

SkeeterG New Member

My sister in law recently bought a 98 tahoe A/T V8 gas. It had been sitting for two years according to previous owner, when i was driving it home i stopped at a light to turn right and when i let off the brake and pushed the gas the engine reved and i thought it had been bumped into neutral. I put the vehicle in neutral and back into drive and it still acted like it was in neutral. The only gear i have is reverse??? I got it home and drained the trans and new filter, could anyone tell me what happened? Broke Reaction sun bell housing? maybe?:grrrrrr: i dont want to take it to tranny shop for a huge bill :rules:

2. onebluecolorado

onebluecolorado New Member

i need more information

I'm a transmission tech, Hopefully i can maybe help you, Did you check to see if the transmission was full of oil before you drained it and refilled it? And i assume that after u did the filter and refilled it, the transmission worked properly? Did u replace the seal for the filter before installing the new filter? Any of these could also cause your problem, along with, the forward clutch accumulator piston being cracked or broken, burnt up forward clutches, tore or broken forward clutch piston seals, broken forward sprag assy., broken or cracked forward sprag race or splines. There could be other causes, but these are the most common. -Mike-