GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

HELP 93 GMC Sonoma A/C problem, a/c clutch stuck

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Cheeva316, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Cheeva316

Cheeva316 New Member

I just bought this 93 Sonoma V6 today, and when the vehicle is running I tried to spin the a/c clutch and its not moving, and if I turn the a/c on, immediately loud squeaking and looks to be like the pulley had stopped( but A/C pulley spins fine when a/c is off) so I immediately shut the a/c off so the belt wouldn't break.
    I tried searching but seem to not find my exact problem but would this be a pulley bearing problem, clutch bearings or??
    Hoping its not the compressor itself cause it still has not been converted to updated fittings and I dont have a evacuation tool to vac out the system to change out the compressor and that seems to be too costly for a 93 Sonoma, but I live in Florida so a/c is a need right now.

Please if you have experience with this certain issue than please reply only. thanks in advance!!!
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Welcome to the G M T C ! I had a '93 S -10 for 3 years, but never head A/C problems. If you don't get an answer here try one of the "Tech." forums here. Good luck!
  3. The Heater

The Heater New Member

Did you check the serpentine belt? If it is stretched, the tensioner pulley cannot produce enough tension on the belt, and the AC clutch will make lots of racket. You have tension reference points on the tensioner. Try putting a breaker bar on the nut on the tensioner pulley and pull a little on it to tighten the belt when you have the engine idling with the AC on. Does the noise stop? If so, you need to either replace the belt or the tensioner (or both).

I had this problem recently with my '94, AFTER I replaced the AC compressor (I had a leak in a seal on the compressor shaft).
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your compressor is locked up and will have to be replaced. I hope you can find someone who can help you with the procedure. I would help, but I live in Iowa . . .
    Good Luck and God Bless.