1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help 96 Tahoe electrical issue.

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by MY97CHEVY, Apr 14, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Thursday, my battery light came on, the battery gauge started dropping to dead. Today, I took the alternator and had Autozone and Oreileys test it. It passed at both locations. Had battery tested battery shows good. I have a 96 chevy tahoe, it has one lead attached with the plastic clip, going to something I do not know where. noticed when i over rev the engine the battery indicator goes off, but the charge does not go up. I don't know what to do now. Help
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What is this? Can you tell me why you think it is important?
  3. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

I don't know thats why the post. Im looking for answers to why my battery all of sudden is dying. And what i should do next
  4. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

If it was mine,I would try a differant alternator anyway. I dont trust thier testers.
  5. RayVoy

I understand why you asked the question, but you need to help us help you.

I do not understand what you are talking about, perhaps a picture would help.
  6. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

On my 96 Tahoe, the positive side has the starter, computer and alternator all tied together on one bolt. I can jump the truck off, it runs for a while then dies again. Was wondering what gauge the lead wire is from the alternator to the battery is. I will have to take a pic of that connector that plugs into the bottom side of the Alternator, it only has one wire coming from it.
  7. RayVoy

Ok, I'm good, no pic needed. That's the charge wire. I'll guess, it is a 14 gauge wire.
  8. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Ok thanks, I have found out the little wire is called ignitor wire goes to battery icon? on dash.
  9. RayVoy

Did you fix he problem?
  10. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Not yet, havent made it home to try.