1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! 97 wont start

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by dbltap, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

When i turn the key nothing!:grrrrrr: Acts like it would as if it was in gear and you where trying to start it. Lights all come on the dash but it just wont crank. I am thinking neutral safety switch? Anyway to check it? To make matters worse, i don't have a manual...where the heck is it located? Any input is appreciated.

1997 5.7L
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I think its the switch too or maybe a solenoid. Try running the gear selector lever through all the gears and put it back in park. If nothing try to put the lever in neutral.
  3. mrfixdit

mrfixdit New Member

97 won't start

Don't forget to check fuses.

Do the lights dim at all when you turn the key to start?
  4. hunter541

hunter541 New Member

make sure the positive terminal are clean and tight the have a habit of not making good contact
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

i would start making sure all contacts are thoroughly cleaned, including sown to the starter. When that ets corroded it can give you all kind of different symptoms, that would make it seem like the battery or otherwise.
  6. dbltap

dbltap New Member

the lights dim just as if it would start but nothing else happens. I just had a new battery installed (last week) and they ran a test on the alternator and the starter...both checked out ok. I ran the gear selector up and down the gears and tried the start from neutral but no go. Any one ever have issues with the safety switch?
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Well if you had the bettery changed then I would for sure be checking connections then, it could be time to just replace the wires for the battery going to the starter, any little bit of cossosion that can creep up the insulation will cut the power
  8. Bearkat

Bearkat New Member

Do you hear a click of the starter solenoid? If so, then you have a bad starter. Usually hitting it with a hammer while someone tries to start it will get it to go. If you don't notice any clicks of the solenoid then you have a bad fuse or wiring/connectivity issue. If you have had the lights dimming while trying to start it then you know the car thinks it's in park or neutral, so you can rule out the safety switch!
  9. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

Try jumping the two terminals on your solenoid under the hood while someone is trying to crank it. Be careful to not get shocked. I usually use a big screw driver and touch the terminals together. That would tell you if it is actually getting to your starter.
  10. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Well went over to work on her today...she cranked right up! so...i am assuming i need to replace the starter solenoid and i may as well do the battery cables while i am at it.