1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help a stupid finn

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by FinnishTruck, Jan 16, 2013.

1. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

Hello!

I hope you can help me with my stupid questions.

I have a 2005 gmc yukon xl 2500 with 6.0 vortec and 4wd.

I live in finland and now in winter we have lots of snow and ice.
    Should i use the auto 4wd or the 4hi mode? Which is more safer considering the transfer case and other parts?
    Sometimes there is dry pavement sticking out from the snowy roads.

And the next question..
    I am going to tow a heavy trailer that has an old saab 99 police car on it. A theatre prop. I suppose i should put the towing mode on when the saab is on the trailer? What about when the trailer is empty?
    The roads will be icy. What 4wd mode i should use when towing?

Is there anyone who is willing to sell me parts for my car? If i order parts from usa carparts shops the customs will tax me really bad. But if i buy my parts from a usa private person i dont have to pay taxes.

Sorry for my bad english
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

4hi should not be used at low speed...not enough torque, and I am not
    sure about the towing mode question with 4WD;s....How is the
    weather over there ??.............Brian from Canada

- - - Updated - - -

don't worry bout the english !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

Its not too cold this week, only -15 celsius. Lots of snow. And because here in tampere the city is trying to save money on snowplowing, all the roads are in terrible shape.

Btw, do you use studded snow tires in Canada?
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Snowed here today got about 2-3 in's I stayed in 2wd on my 08 If the roads get bad I will go to Auto.. 4 Hi only if I get stuck as for towing Do you have the Factory Locker (G80) ? As for parts What are you looking for?
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

no, don't know anyone who does, I think they would wear out as
    the pavement is seen pretty much all thetimewith all the salt and
    chemicals they use after a snow-fall....
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

It's always warmer in the old country than it is here

Sometimes they do. Here in Minnesota people mostly run the same tires year around although the studless ice and snow tires are becoming more widely used. Studded tires were outlawed here in 1971 because of the damage they do to the roads.
  7. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

No i dont think my yukon has g80 lock..

I am looking for parts like bumbers, floor mats etc mostly exterior and interior parts
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Big things are harder to ship.. I have shipped many parts over seas But it can be Pricey and may take time
  9. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

I use auto 4wd on mine when there is a combination of snow/ice and dry pavement. On these trucks the 4hi is only necessary for better control at really low speeds, under 10 mph.

You're supposed to use it when the trailer weighs more than the truck. With the saab on board I would use it. Without the saab it probably doesn't matter much.

Auto 4wd. In the USA we have electric trailer brakes and weight distribution which help considerably in these situations. Do you have them with your setup? In most of Europe they are unlawful for bad historical reasons.
  10. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

I have really bad winter tires.
    They are almost new studded cooper m+s tires. They dont have any grip.
    I would like to buy michelin or nokian tires but they are expensive.
    Does anyone have experience about general winter tires?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all you have been a really big help