Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help!!! AC Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by davidyoung601, Jun 7, 2012.

1. davidyoung601

davidyoung601 New Member

Fellas I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 with a 4.8. When I turn on my air it starts out blowing cold then turns to heat. The heat only comes out the driver side vents and it still blows cols air out the passenger vents. I have to shut my truck off and turn it back on to make it stop. Is there a sensor or vent thats goen bad that I need to replace. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sounds like a shot driver's side blend door actuator. I just had this happen (and fixed it) on the passenger side. The stealership told me the part numbers were the same; they wanted $260ish for the part. I found it online for substantially less; O'Reilly should have the part, too. The good news is that the driver's side removal and replacement is only quoted at an hour of labor by a stealership ... which means it'll be trivial to fix compared to the passenger side (quoted as 4.5 hours of labor). I believe it's somewhere up and to the right from the gas pedal ... but am not 100% sure.

Here's a passenger-side write-up I cobbled together in case it happened to others with a truck similar to mine: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...nt-For-99-06-Silverados-Sierras#axzz1x8DhI42H. The top portion of the write-up with part numbers and links should, in theory, help you -- but a caveat is that I have not done the driver's side so the statement that they are all the same part number regardless of position is something the stealership told me; you might want to independently verify the part number you need before ordering anything, just to be sure.

As for the actual replacement, there's probably a guide or write-up online that you can hunt for; actuators seem to be a common issue in our trucks so I'd expect one to exist. I've not seen one on this site. If you do find a good one to use it might be a good idea to link it in the thread I provided and state that it's for the driver's side ... and I'll work with the powers that be to adjust that guide so that it isn't titled just for the passenger side. If you independently verify the driver's side part number (again, I recommend you do this -- which should be as easy as calling the stealership, telling them the part number you think you need, verifying it's for the driver's side as well as passenger side, and asking for an over-the-phone quote for it) it might be good to mention that, too, in the thread ... as it'll help others know for sure.
  3. paracutin

paracutin Member 100 Posts

Before you start tearing the dash out try calibrating the system first. Might not fix yours like it did mine but it is sure worth a shot.

Same thing has happened to me a few times in the past. Usually just the passengers side. Only way to fix it was to do just what you did and shut the truck off. However, there was a thread about calibrating the HVAC module actuators. Here it is.
    http://chevroletforum.com/forum/upla...ctuator-20542/
    Fifth post down -
    Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool).

​After doing this I have not had the problem come up again.

Read more: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/91016-Suddenly-HOT-air-from-vents!!!!#ixzz1xDgviLUX