1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help. Afm is horriable time for a chip need ideas!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by SILVERADO3, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Detroitboy

Detroitboy New Member

GM won't give us the option to disable it and keep our warranty until they put out enough money for warranty repairs. They have my buddies wifes Yukon in now for a total rebuild at 48,000 miles because the rings froze to the pistons from running in AFM mode so much. It has zero compression on cylinder #8. His own truck just went in last week for a whole new upper end since one of the AFM lifters puked.
    I'd hate to lose the warranty on my 2011 LTZ over putting an aftermarket tune on it. I sure wish there were a way we could disable AFM through the dealer so we could keep our warranty.
  2. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime New Member

Amen brother!
  3. chaz1

chaz1 New Member

2012 Silverado Sierra

The AFM on my 2011 Sierra is horrible. That, coupled with the 5.3 liter six speed makes it an anoyance to drive.GM knows it's an issue with many owners. The growling, lagging, banging... I wouldn't consider a chip/"tune". It would void the warranty. GM needs to take care of this widespread Sierra Silverado Escalade Yukon Suburban problem. They'll only do it if you tell them about it.Tell your friends if their looking at a new 2012 Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra ; test drive the truck extensively at 45 MPH with the Driver Information Display on "Instant Economy". Let them determine for themselves if the AFM is smooth from 4 to 8 cylinders. 8 to 4 is pretty smooth on mine (basically coasting from 8 down to 4). From 4 up to 8 is a different story. Make sure it's not a growling, lagging and occasionally banging-annoyance to drive. Decelerate and accelerate gently a few times to determine if there's slop slack in the drivetrain. Make sure it doesn't clunk or jolt as you slow to make a right turn. I'm not saying it will do these things, but mine and many other 2010s and 2011s do, and the Dealers and GM are gettin' an earful about it. I don't want someone else to get stuck listening to a GM Sales Manager insult them by saying "it has to adjust to your driving habits" or "it's operating as designed" or "we didn't feel it clunk, bang lag growl slip" etc. The new 2012 GM trucks have the same 5.3 liter engine transmission combination as the 2010s and 2011s.AFM was a quick appeasement to newly mandated Corporate Average Fuel Economy "CAFE" standards levied by the FEDs. An appeasement since we/the FEDs now own billions in GM stock. They didn't pay back all the cash. They gave the federal government "stock" ownership. If they didn't pay all the cash back, who paid for the 2 million dollar a minute Superbowl ads?
  4. PearlWhiteLTZ

PearlWhiteLTZ New Member

I was told the diablo tuner leaves no water mark or fingerprint, and does not void vehicle warranty. That is not to say the dealership wouldn't try and blame the tuner, or modification.
    If something goes wrong, they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. If what diablosport says is true, and it leaves no trace of being re-flashed, when you return the truck to the stock tune when you bring it into the dealership, there shouldn't be an issue.
    If something goes wrong, you are going to fight with the dealership no matter what, so I say do the tuner and enjoy the new found power and driveability without the AFM.
    No AFM is awesome...

just my .02
  5. SoCalSilverodder

SoCalSilverodder New Member

PearlWhiteLTZ, do you have a part number for that intune tuner?
  6. PearlWhiteLTZ

PearlWhiteLTZ New Member

Its one part number for everything, i1000
  7. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime New Member

Same part no# for all intune programmers, plus the intune will soon support 6 speed trans functions. MonteSS on this forum works with Diablo. If you can't get a deal going with him. Jegs has them, just go to Jegs and search "intune" Diablo has a support forum and all.
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I understand not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars to fix something the General should do. But, I spent a lot of money on my truck and want it right. I don't want to hate to drive my truck so I will pay a little to ensure that doesn't happen. Plus the increased mpg's is a plus.
  9. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

This is the first I've heard that anyone has absolutely hated the AFM. And I'm also kinda taken back by the gas mileage everyone is getting. My 'rado (08 w/ AFM, no DIC, 3.73 lsd, reg 4spd) with the mods (see below) gets anywhere from 19-23 mpg on trips to Austin. My last 'rado (09 TX edition w 6spd, AFM, all that) got a little less when it was stock. But never have I felt anything was wrong with my trucks when transitioning. I barely even noticed, except with my exhaust mods I can actually HEAR it switching. It sounds funky.. but it's obvious that there's nothing going to break.

???
  10. SoCalSilverodder

SoCalSilverodder New Member

Thanks for the info, guys. Im going to check it out. The afm on my truck is terrible and I get a dismal 15.5 mpg. Hopefully with this tuner it will improve.