1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help!!blown tranny

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 02burban, Jan 13, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 02burban

02burban New Member

i have an 02 suburban and the transmission blew and i was hoping someone could help me out im looking to nuy a used one so i wanna no if all the transmissions are the same through the years and where i could get one im located in northern nj
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do you know which transmission you need? Is your suburban a 1500 or 2500? 2wd or 4wd?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

4L60E if it's a 1500 series
    4L80E if it's a 2500 series
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First welcome aboard. [​IMG]

The E in these trany designations mean these are electrically controlled by your computer. If that helps.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As everyone else has said, you are going to have the 4L60E or 4L80E, the E being the important part here. That means big $$. However, there should be a large variety of tranny shops in your area that sell rebuilt transmissions. One place that ships nationally for not too unreasonable prices is Phoenix Transmissions (http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/). My uncle and I ordered new transmissions from them. Their service seems to be a bit slow, but it's probably because they have a pretty good backlog going on. My uncle just got his tranny in when he ordered it before Christmas, and I still haven't recieved mine. You might want to give them a call. Otherwise, depending on what happened, you may just want to get your existing one rebuilt.