1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help choosing front shocks for 1999 K1500...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by janikphoto, Feb 9, 2014.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Two questions... One, is there a brand or mode you all prefer for mostly street duty with 17" steel wheels and 255/70/17 AT's wrapped around them? Only a one inch lift in back, so mostly stock. Two, when I went to look at compatible shocks online, it offered three sizes for the front of the 4WD 'burb. I think it might've roughly been 17", 19", and 21" sizes. Which is correct for a stock front end?
  2. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Here is the research I have done on shocks for my Burb.[/FONT][FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]On my F150 with a mild (+/- 2.5") lift I ran F250/F350 shocks because they were longer / more travel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Have learned there is no difference in part #'s or sizes between Chebby 1500 and 2500 shocks.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]I am planning a F150 Torsion Bar Key swap (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) and Full Length AAL (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) in the spring.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Like Monroe Gas Magnums... good combo of price, ride, load carrying etc...[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Like Monroe Reflex MonoTubes... supposed to be a "higher performace" shock than the Gas Magnum... Not sure if they are worth the add'l $ though.

Also like Rancho RS5000's... fair price, stiff ride, available in slightly longer sizes (1-2.5" lift)

Following are the measurements & prices per RockAuto:

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34798 Front
    Compressed: 11.375"
    Extended: 16.50"
    Travel: 5.125"
    Price: $28/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5152 Front
    C: 11.625"
    E: 17.75"
    T: 6.125"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911511 Front
    C: 11.375"
    E: 16.625"
    T: 5.25"
    P: $43/ea

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34763 Rear
    Compressed: 14.625"
    Extended: 23.875"
    Travel: 9.25"
    Price: $25/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5190 Rear
    C: 15.875"
    E: 26.25"
    T: 10.375"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911526 Rear
    C: 14.75"
    E: 23.75"
    T: 9.0"
    P: $43/ea
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

HTH

-cmc-
  3. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In my opinion and the opinion of many others on this site, the best shocks you can get for a GM truck are Bilstein. I ran a set of monroe reflex on my 2003, lasted 6 months, I pulled them off and they no longer would extend. I just pulled a set of reflex monotubes off my 2005, lasted a year. Same thing would not return. I warrantied them out and sold the new to another poor sucker on CL. I replaced them with Bilsteins, far superior ride over the monroe that I had on it. I ran gabriels on my 2002, they lasted 6 years. Not bad, but I would rather spend the money and get something that rides nice and is going to last more than a year. Bilstein makes multiple length shocks for different application, checkout shockwarehouse.com or autoanything.com. I know shockwarhouse has tons of info on their site, but their customer service stinks, so I get my info there and order from autoanything.
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

On other sock questions I agreed with Pikey so I will back him up again. I had the monroe reflex shocks on my truck and honestly thought they were junk after they began to wear (4 months). I bought the Blisten heavy duty shocks and will never buy anything else!
  5. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

^ this! I wouldn't use a Monroe reflex on my truck bed trailer, let alone my daily driver. They last about as long as a dart in a whirl wind. The Monroe senda tracs or ok. They lasted on my s10 for about a year an a half. By far a smaller truck than a silverado lol. I'm also a fan of kyb shocks I just purchased a new set of kyb for my wife's Tahoe.
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have the Rancho 5000 series front and rear. They have lasted, and for better or worse it is a notably firmer ride.