Help choosing front shocks for 1999 K1500...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by janikphoto, Feb 9, 2014.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Two questions... One, is there a brand or mode you all prefer for mostly street duty with 17" steel wheels and 255/70/17 AT's wrapped around them? Only a one inch lift in back, so mostly stock. Two, when I went to look at compatible shocks online, it offered three sizes for the front of the 4WD 'burb. I think it might've roughly been 17", 19", and 21" sizes. Which is correct for a stock front end?

2. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Here is the research I have done on shocks for my Burb.[/FONT][FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]On my F150 with a mild (+/- 2.5") lift I ran F250/F350 shocks because they were longer / more travel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Have learned there is no difference in part #'s or sizes between Chebby 1500 and 2500 shocks.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]I am planning a F150 Torsion Bar Key swap (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) and Full Length AAL (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) in the spring.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Like Monroe Gas Magnums... good combo of price, ride, load carrying etc...[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Like Monroe Reflex MonoTubes... supposed to be a "higher performace" shock than the Gas Magnum... Not sure if they are worth the add'l $ though.

Also like Rancho RS5000's... fair price, stiff ride, available in slightly longer sizes (1-2.5" lift)

Following are the measurements & prices per RockAuto:

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34798 Front
    Compressed: 11.375"
    Extended: 16.50"
    Travel: 5.125"
    Price: $28/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5152 Front
    C: 11.625"
    E: 17.75"
    T: 6.125"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911511 Front
    C: 11.375"
    E: 16.625"
    T: 5.25"
    P: $43/ea

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34763 Rear
    Compressed: 14.625"
    Extended: 23.875"
    Travel: 9.25"
    Price: $25/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5190 Rear
    C: 15.875"
    E: 26.25"
    T: 10.375"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911526 Rear
    C: 14.75"
    E: 23.75"
    T: 9.0"
    P: $43/ea
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

HTH

-cmc-

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In my opinion and the opinion of many others on this site, the best shocks you can get for a GM truck are Bilstein. I ran a set of monroe reflex on my 2003, lasted 6 months, I pulled them off and they no longer would extend. I just pulled a set of reflex monotubes off my 2005, lasted a year. Same thing would not return. I warrantied them out and sold the new to another poor sucker on CL. I replaced them with Bilsteins, far superior ride over the monroe that I had on it. I ran gabriels on my 2002, they lasted 6 years. Not bad, but I would rather spend the money and get something that rides nice and is going to last more than a year. Bilstein makes multiple length shocks for different application, checkout shockwarehouse.com or autoanything.com. I know shockwarhouse has tons of info on their site, but their customer service stinks, so I get my info there and order from autoanything.

4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

On other sock questions I agreed with Pikey so I will back him up again. I had the monroe reflex shocks on my truck and honestly thought they were junk after they began to wear (4 months). I bought the Blisten heavy duty shocks and will never buy anything else!

5. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

^ this! I wouldn't use a Monroe reflex on my truck bed trailer, let alone my daily driver. They last about as long as a dart in a whirl wind. The Monroe senda tracs or ok. They lasted on my s10 for about a year an a half. By far a smaller truck than a silverado lol. I'm also a fan of kyb shocks I just purchased a new set of kyb for my wife's Tahoe.

6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have the Rancho 5000 series front and rear. They have lasted, and for better or worse it is a notably firmer ride.