1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Clicking/clanging sound from rear shaft to differential area

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Qurph, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Qurph

Qurph New Member

Just bought an 04 1500 4x4 with 115kmi yesterday (to replace my beloved '99 'burb). Drove nice and quiet during the test drive though I did note a slight "click" when initially engaging power to the train. Thought maybe there was slight play in one or more U joint so I wasn't too worried about that.

Today (all packed up for a weekend at the coast with the new truck) we started driving out of town up a long hill and there was a fairly loud clicking/clanging sound above 30mph. So I had my gf switch back and forth from "D" to "R" while I was under and located the click/clang sound from where the drive shaft goes into the rear differential and could see the drive shaft rock back and forth and seemed to have quite a bit of play. No leaks detected.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
  2. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

Could be a couple things. It could be your U joints easy. Mine was doing that when I would take off. It was a busted u joint. No play, couldn't tell until I took it off (99 Burb! Love mine too!!!).

It could also be inside your diff. Pull your diff cover and check it out. Be prepared to replace your gasket and diff fluid just to check. If there is something severe, you should see it right away. If you don't, it could be the pinion. That's a deeper check involving pulling out the gears.

Could just need adjusting. The backlash could be out of spec and that will cause a clang from the driveshaft when it engages.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds a lot like it's time to change the U joints, may as well change them all while you got the drive shaft out, it'll save you the trouble of doing it all over again in the near future.