1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HELP! Engine RPMs surging when driving

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by alkaspeltzar, Jul 15, 2013.

1. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar Member

Hey guys, my 2010 5.3 AFM Silverado w/66,000miles has been RPM surging while driving over the past couple weeks.

It seems to happen primarily when traveling between 45-55mph. When driving, slightly accerating, the truck is doing about 1100 rpm in its 6th gear. The engines RPMs seem to bounce back and forth 50-100 rpm.

It is not the usual 'bounce' you get from v4 to v8 mode, it is happening while accelerating which i can see is keeping it in v8 mode. To add to it, it is no happeing in really any other gear or driving condition. Go faster with more rpm, problem gone. Its seems to only show when "lugging' in the low rpm when locked into the high 6th gear.

A friend suggested good gas, some sea foam and a throttle body cleaning. I am worried it has to do with my tranny and torque converter, could something be wrong with it?....if so, why only at that speed and gear?

Please help if possible, thanks in advance

2. graddy

graddy New Member

Check your tranny fluid, if its black or smells burnt you have probably burn up your band. Not really sure about your truck but thats what happened with mine and I eventually had tranny rebuilt but I took mine to the wrong guy and today my tranny went out, so double check the reputation of the place or person you take it to

3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hello,

I see that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care