1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Engine Swap and Trans Question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BurbanMan, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I couldnt think of another title.

I have a 90 suburban: TBI 350/700r4 4wd Problem 1: the motor rejected rod #2 so I got with a buddy and snagged a 350 from him that was in a 68 camaro.

Specs: 72 c10 block/fuelie heads/ possible cylinder work/ bigger cam That being said, I'm not so sure the knock sensor is going to like the cam size. Were gonna find out.

Possible problem 2: the 700r4 is a gen 2 so there is no speedo cable involved. Just the speed sensor.

Here's where I'm hoping someone has a solution. If I hook up this transmission and install a carb and 4 pin ignition module in the factory tranny, will it still shift right? I know the motor will start and run, but don't know if the computer will still shift the tranny right. I'm almost positive torque converter lockup will have to be hooked up to a push button, that is no problem. Can someone help me out here....
  2. BurbanMan

Running edelbrock performer RPM Intake
  3. BurbanMan

Nobody has ran in to this before?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I changed your title, making it more detailed in hopes to get you some responses.
  5. BurbanMan

thanks lol I had a brain fart from hell when naming the thread
  6. BurbanMan

Any help is appreciated
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 700R4 is not computer controlled. It is controlled by the TV cable controlling line pressure. The TV cable hooks up to the carb/TBI throttle arm and if not adjusted right, can and will cook the tranny in short order. I'm not sure how the converter lockup is handled off-hand, but I'll try to look it up tonight.
  8. BurbanMan

thanks craw daddy! That's good news! Will it need readjustment since I'm using the Eddie intake? The bolt hole height appears to be the same as oe intake. So I have my doubts, but confirmation is comforting lol
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just confirmed that you will need a new lockup harness if you intend to ditch the computer. So long as the throttle arm on the carb can be adapted to the TV cable, you'll be fine. Here's a link on how to properly set up the TV cable: http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
  10. BurbanMan

thank you. I appreciate the help. I'm not terribly great at finding these things even with a search engine lol