1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help guys with black trucks ~ truck cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by groceryman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thats it??! Wow I've always thought it took longer for some reason. Well awesome! May just have to do it one day this week! :)
  2. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

I've heard turtle wax and mcguires are normally the top brands. I"ve only used cleaner wax and haven't gone into the polish/ wax.

My question is... Is it best to hand wax it all and clean it off with a towel, or do you guys recommend buying a polish and the whole 9 yrds with it? I got a black truck, and i really reall want the dark rich wet black tone to it.
  3. pray1140

pray1140 New Member

Go Big or Go Home !! I would take it the whole 9 yrds. I have done it both ways and seem to be much happier with the result after the polish!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Claybar, polish and wax. Smooth as a baby's butt!:lol:
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X2 on what STB has mentioned.....After I Wash my Truck.....I then do a Clay Bar.....which is a Must before applying a Polishing Compound and Wax.
  6. groceryman

groceryman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

wax.jpeg Turned out pretty good thanks for the help guys
  7. AA1PR

AA1PR Rockstar

I only wax the yukon with traditional turtle wax once in the spring and once in the fall before winter. throughout the summer i use the turtle wax ice, it is ever so simple, spray it on wipe it around, turn the terry cloth over and buff. I do the windows, chrome and everything with this. I am disabled and for the 15 minutes or so it is all I can tolerate & I get excellent results.
  8. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Member 100 Posts

Bringing an old thread back from the dead here, but figured some things needed to be clarified.

The first thing to understand is that its more about the process than it is about the products. Sure a quality product will make the job easier, faster, or yield better results, but in the end its WHAT you do and HOW you do it that will address your paint issues.

Polishing is the only way to remove swirl marks, and it almost always requires a machine if you want to get 100% correction... its a numbers game really. A polisher like the porter cable 7424xp osciallates at up to 6800 times per minute. No matter how much coffee you drink you will never ever ever be able to move your hand at that rate and keep a consistent and even application of pressure on the applicator to make any real meaningful change. The rule is that you can get a marked improvement by hand, but for 'perfect' you need a machine.

If you simply looking to hide the problems temporarily then there are products out there like the black box and filler/glazes that will help hide the swirls, but the problem is that with just a few washes or a few days in the sun the tinted fillers in those products begin to wash away or fade, leaving you back where you started.

Also - WAXES DO NOT FIX SWIRL MARKS. This is a common misconception and usually one of the first thing suggested when someone asks for advice on forums 'how do I remove swirls?' Waxes are simply a coating to protect and enhance the paint, nothing more. It takes a polish to remove swirls.

With the water spots, generally claying will handle the more mild ones, and you should clay before polishing anyways to make sure the paint is fully decontaminated. In some cases clay will only remove some of the water spotting, generally though whatevers left can be polished out with mild polishes and foam pads.
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

In my quest for a new-to-me truck, I've been looking at a lot of black trucks. These are some good tips that I'll have to keep in mind.