Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help! head light problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lincolnman20, Apr 3, 2013.

1. lincolnman20

lincolnman20 New Member

I have a 2004 Chevy silverado with a 5.3L and my head lights keep burning out. Sometimes I can hit them and they will come back on but other times I have to replace bulbs has been happening for about 2 months now and dont know what could be wrong. Please help me out. Thanks

2. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

how is youre charging system behaving?,all i can think of would be excessive voltage,i.e. voltage regulator in alternator gone goofy,what else a loose wire spiking the system?hope that helps,if not post back anyways,strange symtom

3. Trucking

Trucking Member

Are you making sure you get the bulbs spotless and do not handle them with your fingers at all after that?

4. lincolnman20

lincolnman20 New Member

okay ill let you know whats going on with it later today im gonna take it into the shop at school

- - - Updated - - -

think i found the problem driver side bulb was a 55 watt and passenger was a 51 watt bulb which is what recommended. anyway swapped bulbs and the problem hasnt happened since

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Yep, it you touch them with your fingers, they will burn out. Don't know why a vibration (banging) would bring them back on. You might want to spray the socket with brake cleaner, and very lightly rough up any metal contact points you can reach (not sure what config the socket has for that year). Often the metal gets lightly corroded, and blowing it out and roughing it up improves contact.