1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help, injector keeps leaking

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Dustin123, May 22, 2011.

1. Dustin123

Dustin123 New Member

Hey guys, I have a 95 sonoma 2.2L The no. 1 injector was leaking and I had it changed. About a week later my no. 2 injector started leaking so I changed all the o rings other than the new one. About 2 hrs after driving it the same one started leaking again. Is this common or do I just need another injector all together? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Dustin123
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM Truck Club Dustin. I'm not sure if your're asking about the O rings leaking (lean condition) or injectors leaking (rich condition)
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Dustin.
  4. Dustin123

Dustin123 New Member

Thanks for the welcome guy's, Stephan im not sure which of them it is, I thought it was the rings but I could be wrong. how could I tell?
  5. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

1st off try spraying some brake cleaner around the injectors with the engine running......it it effects the idle you need new o rinfs again.....i had the same prob w/ mt 4.8.........and i tried aftermarket rings but they didnt work, got some gm o rings and never had any trouble since
  6. Dustin123

Dustin123 New Member

thanks clgoch187 im bout to try that right now.
  7. stephan

I'd agree with Clgoch, get the GM O rings. There has to be a reason that a lot of the aftermarket O rings fail to seal & I think it might be because they just aren't big enough (cross section mass is less) & just can't completely seal because there isn't enough size to fill the void.
    As for fuel leaking out of your injectors, if more than one injector leaks fuel or seems to switch back & forth, I would check the fuel pressure just to make sure it isn't too high & causing this before replacing the injectors themselves. High mileage could also cause the injectors to leak fuel, but here again I'd check the fp before replacing them.
  8. Dustin123

Dustin123 New Member

thanks stephan, I'll def. cheak the fuel pressure when I get off work tomarrow. As for testing it with carb. cleaner, it didn't make the idle change at all when I sprayed it, so does that def. mean that it's the injector itself?
  9. stephan

Well it doesn't definitely mean it's the injector Dustin, unless you have pre-determined that it had to be one of those two things to begin with, & only those two things. There are a lot of things that can cause running problems. I guess I need more info as to how & who narrowed your running problem down to either an injector O ring(s) leaking or the injector(s) leaking fuel.
    If you spray carb cleaner on any suspected vacuum leak it should cause the idle to change if there is a leak there, but just because it didn't change, doesn't necessarily mean that your injector is bad & leaking fuel either (leaking fuel rather than the seal leaking vacuum)
    I would go ahead & check your fuel pressure & see if it's too high. (Most auto parts houses loan fp guages if you leave a $$ deposit with them) If the FP is not too high, but you have injectors leaking fuel, then it's probably just the injectors worn out due to high mileage.
  10. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i forgot to say b4 but lube up the rings with cocoa butter or dielectric grease when installing the fuel rails.....but i guess its too late