Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help installing a Kicker Hideaway Sub in a 2012 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by JRD761, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello All,

I want to install a Kicker Hideway Subwoofer under the rear seat of my 2012 Silverado Extended Cab.
    (Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html?tp=114)

To do this, I need to connect it's harness to two speaker's wires (a left and a right), and I'm assuming the rear speaker wiring would be the easiest to get to since I'm installing this under the rear seat.

Any idea where I can find this wiring in the rear of the cab? Does it run up a panel somewhere that's easy to get to?

Thanks!

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

The barn door speaker wiring should run along the back, up, and through a rubber accordian gasket to the speakers in the doors, just like the ones in the front doors (but in reverse). You'll probably have to pull the rear seating out, and probably the frame as well, to be able to pull the carpet back and pop the plastic covers off, to be able to get at the wiring.

3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I would like to see pics and get your personal review of this sub.

4. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm more than likely going to be picking one up tomorrow. I had one in my 2004 and it was was pretty good. Wouldn't rattle the windows off, but it made the whole sound system sound way better.

I don't want to get rid of the stock deck; it does everything I need it to do, and there's so much that goes through it (OnStar, steering wheel controls, ect) that I don't want to have to go through the hassle of getting 15 different things to make an aftermarket deck work. I'm hoping this addition will make the system a lot better..

5. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Don't connect to a left and right speaker...you will give your subwoofer a stereo input signal and it will sound very strange with certain songs, subwoofers are not side dependent, run all signal wiring to one speaker and give your driver a mono input, mono is a signal type reserved for drivers and center channels.

6. dobey

It's a powered sub that takes speaker level inputs, and has a built in signal converter. You don't need to install a seprate line-out converter for it (although you can). Subwoofers not being side dependent is also nonsense. If you have a single subwoofer and only hook it up to one side for input, you'll only get low frequencies from that side, and may miss some of the sound. This is why you need a mono amp, which downsamples the inputs from both sides, into a single channel for a single subwoofer, when using a single subwoofer. However, the Kicker hideaway sub in question has inputs from both sides, and downsamples it to mono for the single sub. So it won't sound particularly strange.

7. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Frequency is NOT side dependent.

8. dobey

It is when the audio track isn't in mono. If the audio track splits sound between left and right, it's going to split low frequencies just as it's going to split high frequencies. Low frequencies don't get sent at the same level across both sides, just because most people install a single subwoofer in their cars. It's still stereo, they just miss some of the music.