1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help K1500 Suburban cranks fast slow fast doesnt start

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by boyscout, Jan 23, 2010.

1. boyscout

boyscout New Member

My 1997 k1500 suburban had been cranking normal then slows/stops, then normal and starts especialy when it is warmed up or hot. it has had his problem since i got it about a year and a half ago, a couple of times it wouldnt start, then a few hours later no problem at all, I took it to a mechanic several months ago and he said he adjusted the timing some but couldn't totally adjust it right... But it did start better after his adjustments. however it now will not start at all now.

It has been suggested that the timing chain, ignition module, Pick-Up Coil, Ignition Control Module, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor and the ECM should be replaced.

this is a K1500 1/2ton Sub 4WD 5.7L SFI 8cyl Vortec with 4L60E Transmission and I don't know how to adjust the timing at all on this type of motor as i thought it was adjusted by the ECM.

All I can say now is HELP
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, back to basics. An ICE (internal combustion engine) needs just a few things to run.

1. Fuel
    2. Spark
    3. Timing
    4. Compression
    5. Air

1. Fuel......................Measure the fuel pressure. Will it start with starting fluid?
    2. Spark...................Are you getting spark to the plugs?
    3. Timing..................Needs to be at factory spec.
    4. Compression........Almost a given, but can be measured.
    5. Air........................(O2 needed for life and combustion, pretty much a given, no test required.)

Check those and post your findings. How many miles on the engine, and has it been rebuilt/replaced?