1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HELP! Leaf spring removal!

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by LIBERTYHILLBILLY, Mar 14, 2010.

1. LIBERTYHILLBILLY

LIBERTYHILLBILLY New Member

OK. I am putting a 6" RC suspension lift on my 98 Z71. Currently I am at the "add a leaf" section of the procedure. I removed the whole leaf spring assymbly but now I have to UNCLAMP the springs and remove one to put the new on in. My ? is WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO UNCLAMP THE CLAMP? Heat? Cut it and buy a new one? Please help.

Eric
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I assume your talking about the spring pack retainers.
    The best way is to heat and bend.
    I've never seen these pieces for individual sale before, their always attached to the spring pack.
    I've seen a set once where the owner drilled out the rivets and moved the clamps out of the way then reinstalled them with nuts and bolts.
    What ever you do keep them, they do serve a purpose, especially with an AAL, the springs tend to wiggle around a little more after adding an AAL and the clamp keeps them where they should be.
  3. LIBERTYHILLBILLY

LIBERTYHILLBILLY New Member

tbplus10 thanks so much for your advice. When I pulled the spring assymbly off I put it in a vice and just bent the clamps. I then installed the new leaf and hammered the clamps back in. The vice and work bech was a must. Overall it worked great. Thanks again!