help me choose a tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nickgiacalone, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

I've been looking at tires lately because the stock 245/75R16's just arent cutting it for me, GM did everything awesome on the new 2500's except for they put the same size tires on that my TrailBlazer had, and that just looks like a big truck with no meat lol.

my question or opinion im asking is out of these four which do you guys prefer? I know BFG's are nice but they are a bit pricey even tho ive wanted them for as long as ive wanted a 2500.

so here are the choices:

Nitto Terra Grappler's
    Toyo Open Country AT's
    Cooper Discoverer ATR's
    BFG AT's

2. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I run HANKOOKS now but on my previous truck I had run BFG and the Coopers and I have to say for the price I really liked the Coopers. IMO

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can't beat the Coopers as far as the pricing goes. Also check out 4 Wheel Parts Wholesale. They sell their house brand "Pro Comp" These tires are made by Cooper and right now they are running some nice promotions, especially if you are buying a Tire and Wheel package deal.

Check them out........http://www.4wheelparts.com/

4. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had my Nitto TGs on my Tahoe for over 30K miles with no complaints!

[​IMG]

5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

All 4 of those are decent tires, I will always recommend the BFG before any of them tho, then the terra grappler. another good one to look at is the Cooper Discoverer ST (it is an all terrain also). They are a good tire, look great, and cheap also

6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check Costco out for BFG's they have good prices on them if that's what you want. My preference is Cooper tires, check out the Discoverer S/T-C

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's too funny because I have 3 out of your 4 choices on my personal list, I like the Terra grappler's but I have always been a fan of the BFGoodrich's. I do know that all of those tires you have picked out are available with E load ratings, which will keep your towing rating the same. From what I have seen around me here in Ohio, they are all priced relatively the same for a set. :happy:

8. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy Rockstar 100 Posts

I have Hankook DynaPro ATM's. Love em. Agressive looking tire but quiet on the highway.

9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those are all good tires, but be aware of the BFG A/T's. Everyone I've talked to said they are great tires, but they wear quickly and oddly. So if you go with them, be prepared to rotate them every oil change to try to get them to wear evenly.

10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Alright I can go along with what Mean Green 95 said, because I do an alignment, balance, and rotation on my tires at every 3,000 miles with the oil change. No I'm not insane either, but I have all of that stuff for lifetime on all of my trucks through NTB so It doesn't cost me a thing. I know people that don't even rotate there tires, so yeah it does depend on how well you take care of yours. I have 38,000 miles on mine, and they still have half of the tread left on them. :neutral: