Help me decide!!

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MBalch, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MBalch

MBalch New Member

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. It's time to put tires on my truck. I have searched the forum and I can't find much info on the 2 tires I have been looking at. I am trying to decide between the BFG KM1 255-55-17 and the Hankook MT RT 103 in 285 70 17. Out the door on the BFG is 525.00 and the Hankook is 700.00. The truck is a 2005 crew cab Z71 with the 5.3. Thanks for the help!

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have not heard much about Hancock. I know BFG is a great tire. I would go with them especialy when they are signifantly cheaper.

Welcome to the club!

3. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

Those are two totally different sized tires, did you mix the numbers around?

4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

personaly i would go Mickey Thompson's but if those are your only two choices, go BFG

5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I love my mud terrains on my jeep. I know next to nothing about Hankook. :great:

6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I havent really heard much good about the hankook MT, i would find the BFG i a 285/70R17

7. MBalch

MBalch New Member

I would like to have the BFG KM2 or the the Mickey Thompson but they are a little out of my price range. I have 265-70-17's on right now, I need a MT and about 700.00 is my limit. I have read good reviews on the Hankook, but being a 10 ply tire they will be a little heavier. The BFG will be a little taller and a little narrower. Any other suggestions on a good tire in my price range?

8. maccid

maccid New Member

Ok so I am new to this forum.. From every thing that I have read and heard, stay away from the Hankook. I don't think that they are all that. BFG makes a good tire. I had the BFG A/T's on my last truck. (04 Silverado) I wouldn't get the Mickey Thompson's either from what I have read. They say that they are good in the dirt but the street doesn't do them justice.

Check out Tirerack and do your research. I have the Goodyear Silent Armor tires on my 08 Silverado. 20" stock wheels. The dealer put them on since I didn't like the stock wheels. Well they didn't make a BFG A/T in the 275x55x20 size. I am very pleased with my tires. I haven't had a chance to get them into anything. I am currently deployed to Iraq so will not get to test them against anything until May.

Good Luck to you.

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hankook's I know nothing about but Toyo and BFG are what I run on my Chevy's and have for years.

10. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The Hankook MT's got really good reviews in 4Wheel magazine.