1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me spend my winnings...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by SurrealOne, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Recently I was lucky enough to win some money while playing a game of chance. The winnings won't quite cover the full cost of what I want, but they'll come close. The problem is that I can't decide between two different items ... so I figured I'd take some input from those on the forums.

The items in question are 10" LED off-road light bars ... a pair of them to be precise. I intend to fit them into the twin bumper slots where I currently have some small Carriage Works billet grilles that match my main grille.

My current front-runner is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Specter LED Light bar (model 91061):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/srseriesspecter10.htm
    The output is 5100 raw lumens, 53 watts, at 3.7amps.

My current second choice is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Hybrid LED Light bar (model 91031):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/srseries10.htm
    The output is 3200 raw lumens, 35 watts, at 2.4 amps. (This one's also referred to as the 'combo' pattern.)

I like the first because of the output ... but I like the second for the beam pattern. You can see the beam patterns by visiting the links and scrolling down once on the page. The price doesn't sway me either way as this will be little out of my pocket because of the winnings.

Would ya'll be kind enough to provide your input to help me decide? These are marked down 5% at a site where I intend to buy ... and there's a sale running at that site from Black Friday through Cyber Monday that has a 10% off coupon for orders over $200.00. Shipping is also free. Thus, it's a good time to buy and I need to make a decision this weekend.

@nakranij, @aloxdaddy99, @AMac -- I'm particularly interested in your opinions if you happen to drop by, this weekend. We've always bounced ideas and taken input from one another in chat and I value your opinions heavily. Since we don't have chat I'm hoping you'll see this post and be able to respond in time.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ok 1 word... PowerBall tonight... $325Mill :gasp: If you win... You can buy all of us some Lights.. Or better yet Buy the Co.....

Ok Ok As for the lights..The 2nd one should do ya fine...
  3. SurrealOne

I'm not that lucky. And yes, either set is fine. The first set is 80 dollars more per light for 158% more lumens per light. What this really comes down to is whether the added light of the first set trumps the hybrid beam pattern of the second. That's what I am having trouble determining.
  4. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

well I'm always for more power and brightness and since the first one puts out more lumens I'd have to go with that one.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

id do the combo pattern myself. brighter isnt better if its not used effectivly.

Alex
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ah this is the tough question..... You know me, I like my lights bright, as bright as I can get them..... but having said that..... I respect the differences in "driving" lights and what I will term "wide field of vision" lights (some people call these wide angle ones "fog" lights which they technically are not.

If I could take the winnings and double it. I would get a hybrid and a driving light set for 4 lights..... but If I had to choose one, it would be the hybrid as I have HID's for distance.
  7. SurrealOne

So it looks like an even split, as follows:
    * Enkei and Sierra say combo
    * Amac and Nak say driving

Note: Nak said combo for himself, since he has HIDs. I don't, so the implication is that if he were HIDless, like me, he'd go with the driving lights. Hence the categorization, above.

The split, above, didn't help much with my decision, but it's been made. I chose the driving lights for the increased brightness. If I need a wider pattern I'll simply aim the lights to get the spread I want. :)

Thanks for the input, all...
  8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have thought about adding a set of those to compliment my existing piaa setup. I have my PIAA lights setup in a so the light output is in an x pattern. I do this to light up as much area as possible. My decision would be if they are adjustable I would go with the brightest.. if not then the ones that will flood the most area.
  9. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

You could buy me a coffee!!!! just kidding....Brian from Canada
  10. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

id have to go wtih the second choice surreal.