1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Need more towing HP.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lgaddes, Jun 2, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will never get the benefit out of all of that stuff that you will get from re-gearing alone. 3:42 gears were never meant to be used on a tow vehicle. they are for fuel economy, and satisfying the EPA. Towing a heavy load with 3:42 gears is a great way to stress and overheat your transmission. Them 4L60s ain't cheap either! (Also, MAKE SURE to put on an auxiliary transmission cooler if it doesn't already have one... assuming that you have an automatic tranny.)
  2. dbb06

dbb06 Member

Larry, I'm going to come out and ask what specific truck do you have? You said a 2008 with a 5.3. Is it a Reg cab, ext cab, crew? Does it have the HD tow package? Is the 7000# the dry weight or the wet for the trailer?
    I checked the owners manual online for your truck and it's about the same as mine. A 7000# trailer for a 1500 with 3.43 gears is at or over the GCWR for your truck depending on which model.

I agree with SurrealOne. Upgrade gears and a tune and it will give you the power and safety to tow what you have.
    Contact @
    06MonteSS he does custom programs using the Diablo Sport tuner, his price is only $485 for 3 custom tunes which isn't bad. http://intune.diablewtune.com/ . Gears for a 2wd from a good shop are probably going to cost anywhere between $700 + depending on the brand of gears and shop labor rates for your area. The quote I received was around $800 out the door for the gear change.
  3. redvett

redvett Member

:gasp:I agree that your best bet is a gear change, the exhaust and intake will only make more noise but very little power improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that your best bet is a gear change, the exhaust and intake will only make more noise but very little power improvement.
  4. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Gear Change and Tuner will give you the most "Bang for the Buck", but be willing to spend more $$.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Larry asking this question was last on the forum in Sept 2012. He only posted this one post question and has not returned.
  6. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 2 Years 100 Posts

That is too much trailer for that truck. I don't care if it's regeared or not, he will be over his GVWR.