1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HELP! Need to fix my rental's bumper before it goes back...

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by JRD761, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

To make a long story short: My truck is in for warranty repairs. I was given a 2013 Suburban rental, and I ended up hitting a rubber/vinyl tarp on the freeway that scuffed up the front bumper. (If you want to read the whole story, here ya go.)

My body shop was able to get all the scratches and scuffs out of the front bumper by buffing it, but I'm stuck with this lower plastic black Valiance part of the bumper that's all scratched up. (Here's a link to the piece I'm talking about on eBay)

If I had the time, I'd just spend the $40 and replace it (if I take the rental in damaged at all, they're going to take my deductible of $500 and go through my insurance. I'm trying to avoid that..) But I need to return the rental car tomorrow morning :/ . This is the only thing I'm worried about.. the actual painted part of the bumper is fine and looks like nothing happened, but this lower valiance piece is gonna give it away.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the scratches out of it? They're not that deep.. and this part isn't painted, it's just black plastic. I'm thinking maybe sanding it down so they're less noticeable? Or is sanding not a good idea? If sanding is a good idea, what grit sandpaper should I try?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Heat gun and try to mold it back?? It is a loaner I would just bring it back on the side of the building and leave them the keys. If it's that low they may not see it..
  3. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

i agree with just letting it go as is. they probably will never see it. and only if they give you a hard time, then offer to pay for the part or something, otherwise... out of sight, out of mind.

but always remember this while im thinking of it... the person before you must have hit a curb. true story.
  4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My dad did this same thing in a Tahoe a few weeks ago they let it slide. He was pissed at himself for like a week after cuz he tells us how he hasn't put a scratch in a car since 1975
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would let it go. If they do have an issue with it then tell them you will buy the part to fix it. No point in paying $500 for a $40 part
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

So what did you do???