1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help needed -- ECM Tuning (sorry lost other thread)

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ejohnson03, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Need to get the ECM chip programmed for my Tow vehicle.

I have 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab pickup. The stock 5.7L motor crapped out, so we put in a 350sb bored .050 over with a towing CAM profile. Performer intake and new 195 GM Heads.

These changes plus a Cold Air Intake, removed CAT's and install Headers with dual exhaust out turbo mufflers.

Now the Body Computer doesn't know what to do. Truck does run, but not as good as it should.

So far, FastCHIP is the only company that says they can help. But at $350 for a new chip and program... egahds...

Anyone out there know where I can get a new Tune Flashed for a little more reasonable price?

Thanks for looking.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Help needed- ECM Tuning

$350.00 is about what a custom tune E-Prom cost. Your truck has a replaceable chip. The standard off the shelf chips will not work, so you need a custom chip. Try Z-Industries.com or Turbo City. I know back when you truck was new they did custom chips back then. Also TPIS.com makes custom chips. Ive used all three of these tuners over the years and had good results with all of them.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Help needed- ECM Tuning

I forgot some info on my last post for you. TPIS does 1988-1995 custom E-Proms (chips). Phone # 952-448-6021. Z-Industries does 1984-2009 tunes. Phone # 951-303-6857.
  4. ejohnson03

Awesome, thanks.

I will post my progress.
  5. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

you should also look up PCMforless.com, they do chips along with newer computer reflashing. they did a canyon i owned and it was the best thing i did for the truck.
  6. ejohnson03

That was a great tip...

I finally ordered the chip from PCMforless, it was only $200 plus shipping.

Should be here any day now.

Do I have to remove the dash to get the computer out?

Or is it possible to crack it open to swap out the chip?
  7. ejohnson03

Not that many folks were following this thread, but thought I would post a follow up.

Last Friday the mailman dropped of my new PCM chip, just as I was pulling out with the camper for a weekend trip.

Drove about 120 miles down to Indiana, and managed to squeeze out around 5.5 mpg pulling the camper with the Silverado.

While camping, I yanked out the body computer and performed the chip upgrade. Actually was a lot easier than I had anticipated.

So... it does make a considerable difference in how the truck runs.

Just got back from the camping trip and got a little better mileage with the new chip, about 7 MPG.

Looking forward to some day to day perfomance testing and mpg ratings.

Thanks for everyones input.

PCMforless is the cats @55 in my book.
  8. javojjaaf

javojjaaf Member

i am stoked to hear the good news! :great:so how did you have the chip done? what type of gas, trany setting, those things. i cant wate to get back from my deployment and get my exhaust finished up so i can get my tune from them! they did my 04 canyon after i put 32" on it with a 3" lift and it drove like it did with the factory 225's on it. i could run it to the speed limiter before the lift and tires, then after all i could get was about 95 mph out of the 2.8 four banger. then i got the tune, pushed it up to 115 mph, the rev limiter was raised from 6000 to 6500, and the speedo was corrected. all for $125...cant beet that with a stick! keep us updated on how she is doing for you and good luck!