1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help needed: performance improvements to the 4.3l V6

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by greaseball, Sep 1, 2009.

1. greaseball

greaseball New Member

Has anyone here done some successful mods to the 4.3l V6 to improve its performance and gas mileage?

I just purchased a 2004 Silverado 1500, short box regular cab. It's a very clean low mileage (50k) truck with a 5-speed manual trans and a 3.42 rear axle ratio. Driving over 500 miles at 65-70mph on the highway netted me a whopping 18mpg. I was expecting more. Plus, this engine seems a bit weak and like all good Chevy engines I'm sure it has some potential.

The truck is all stock with the exception of a dual muffler system that splits just behind the single stock catalytic converter.

I'd like to hear from some of you what you have done to improve this engine in terms of both performance and gas mileage. I'm not afraid to toss a cam in it either, if needed, or to rework the stock heads. I'm not looking to turn this thing into a fire breathing street truck, but I am sure that it can be improved upon in some key areas from where it is now.

And for those who want to post and tell me to just drop in a v-8......that mod is beyond my time availabilty, pocketbook and needs.

Thanks
  2. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts

what ever you can do to lose weight should help.

I had a jimmy with the 4.3 and got the the sides from the trim down all the way around rhino lined to help prevent rust just added a TON of weight DESTROYING my gas mileage and burning through breaks.

I also put the brush guard and nurf bars not realizing how much more weight it all added so I took the brush guard and nurf bars off which immediately gave me 2 mpg's back but I regreted the rhino lined sides as I was pulling it out of the parking lot.

I guess my only suggestions would be maybe a K&N air filter and a tonneau cover. Hope this helps.