Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help oil issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by darkness-lies-, Jan 7, 2012.

1. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

ok i just replaced oil in my 01 silverado i put in recommended amount but the check engine oil level light is on and the oil is either all over my dipstick or hardly there. i have oil pressure and i do not have any leaks or burning oil. Any ideas?

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I am not trying to insult you, but lets start with the basics. After you added the oil did you start the truck and let it come up to pressure, shut it off, pull the dipstick, wipe it, stick it back in, pull it back out and check it? Again I am not trying to insult you by any means.

3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Is this the first oil change in this truck for you? I ask because currious if it is different than norm or if it is the first then maybe wrong dipstick or some other mod you may be unaware of if the truck is new to you.

4. darkness-lies-

I understand and yes i did all that normal stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

This is the second oil change in this truck that i have done first time was no problem.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. pj2774

pj2774 New Member

Make sure vehile is on level ground. Let the truck heat up to operating temp then shut it down. Let it sit a minute, Pull the dip stick out and don't bother looking at it just wipe it off and put the stick back in and pull it out. Now check it. If it is high you put to much oil in and will need to drain a little out until it is correct on the stick. If it is to low at this point you will need to add more oil, run the engine, let it sit a minute and check it again.

Hope this helps

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

just out of curiousity? how much oil did you put in, and what weight?

7. darkness-lies-

5qt 10w30 plus oil treatment

8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 99 5.3 takes 6qts of oil, does the 4.8 take only 5 or did you not change the oil filter?

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Oil Capacity (With Filter Change) on the 4.8 Liter V-8 is......6 Quarts.....per the Owners Manual.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. darkness-lies-

i thought it says 5qt. wow i feel stupid. :grrrrrr: ill fix that right now!

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

fixed :great: