1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help ordering Suburban suspension products

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Terrible1One3, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Terrible1One3

Terrible1One3 New Member

Hi all, purchased a new truck (to me at least) and have a few questions and google shod me this board was the place to go.

I have a 2003 Suburban Z-71 4x4

It has 86k miles on it. I just purchased it. I want to make it ride better, the suspension feels soft and the wheel shakes at 70-75mph. Buying it as a road trip vehicle so the ride at high speed is very important to me.

I am installing new Michelin LTX M/S2 all the way around on the stock 17inch wheels.

I am also doing all new rotors and pads, the place I bought it from turned the rotors but they still pulse especially when braking from high speed and like I said I want this truck to perform like it is new again.

Finally I want to upgrade the shocks. I have done some research and it looks like bilstein shocks are the way to go. I like the reviews of their HD shocks. I will be doing some towing with this but the HDs are recommended by bilstein for normal use also.

According to my window sticker my truck has the self leveling suspension. On tire rack.com there is a mention when I look at the shocks that I will need new springs (that they don't appear to sell) if I have that to maintain the stock ride height.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience upgrading the suspension components on a truck equipped with the self leveling.

Any chance I can get someone to build me a "shopping cart" with the stuff I will need. Any recommendations on brake rotors and pads?

Tires are cheap on tire rack. I can get the springs from summit racing.com. I just want to make sure all the stuff I have picked out will work.

Here is the link to the shocks and description below then the link to the springs and the description below.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&autoModel=Suburban+4wd&autoModClar=&model=HD+Shock&autoYear=2003&group=HD+Shock&autoMake=Chevrolet&partNum=24-065009&make=Bilstein&24-065009_Qty=2

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-199020/

Front fitment
    Housing: Shock Housing
    Non Adjustable
    Note: Front fitment. Heavy duty. Will not replace electronic dampers. for models with front torsion bar
    Price:* $66.00 (each)
    Estimated Availability: In Stock
    Qty:

Rear fitment
    Housing: Shock Housing
    Non Adjustable
    Note: Rear fitment. Heavy duty. Will not replace electronic dampers. Models with self leveling or Premium Smooth Ride (ZW7) suspension will need to replace the springs with Bilstein part # 199020 to achieve proper ride height.
    Price:* $66.00 (each)
    Estimated Availability: In Stock

Brand Bilstein
    Manufacturer's Part Number 199020
    Part Type Stock Height Springs
    Product Line Bilstein Coil Springs
    Summit Racing Part Number BSN-199020
    Spring Type Coil
    Spring Position Rear
    Progressive Rate Spring No
    Spring Finish Black
    Bushings Included No
    Quantity Sold individually.
    Notes With hydraulic level ride only systems.
    Thanks for the help!

Mike
  2. Terrible1One3

Terrible1One3 New Member

Well.... Ordered all the stuff so I hope it works!
  3. johnabel

johnabel New Member

Mike,

I have a 2002 GMC Yukon XL and want to complete the same process. Have you completed the work or recieved any feed back? Especially interested in the shock swap. I have been looking at the bilsteins for the rear and already have them in front. any sway bar changes?

Thanks, John