1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help please! finding OBD II connector

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by StuckonGM, Feb 8, 2013.

1. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

Sounds simple enough but I just cannot find it! It's supposed to be under the driver's side dash but I just don't see it. There is one connector that is too small and another that is connected to it's wire harness mate and I don't think that is it either. Isn't the OBD supposed to be ready to be plugged into by a reader/scanner? I have pulled out most of my hair looking on the internet for the past hour or more - I'm doing something wrong because I'm not getting anywhere! Please help if you can - a picture would be great!

Thanks,

Rich
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What year vehicle are we talking?
  3. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

Oops! I usually don't leave out details, 2004 AWD 5.3
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Under dash by the wheel..Most of the time it is to the left of the steering wheel..
  5. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

Remember the days when you could open the hood from outside the car? You felt and poked around, you knew a latch was there - you just couldn't find it!
    The book says it's below the steering column and to the left. The only thing there is a two piece connector with the safety tabs on a loose main wire harness. The OBD for this model is an open connector and hard mounted I had an 03 you could sit in the driver's seat and see the connector, same for my 06 Silverado - I could close my eyes and plug in the reader. I could take a picture in the morning but I doubt it's going to help.