help power steering problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by atvrider, Mar 12, 2007.

1. atvrider

atvrider New Member

my friend has a 2000 suburban and when you slow down and turn to the right there is no powersteering also happens when sitting still full power to left but none to the right. just wondering if anyone has expiernced this and know what i have to replace whether its the pump or a valve or something. thanks

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Weird. I know when I changed my steering gear out, I had to flush the system to get the air out. In the process it would only turn a little in each direction as the system purged the air. Perhaps there's an air pocket in the system.

I would say your first step should be to eliminate the easiest solution first.
    Raise, and support the front end. Make sure both front tires are not touching the ground or anything else for that matter. Start the truck, and cycle the steering wheel from extreme left to extreme right about 6-10 times. If there is an air pocket in there, this will help purge it.
    If it still does it after that, your problem could be the pump.

Pay attention to any resistance you might get while the front wheels are hanging free. If no resistance while wheels are off the ground, but you get the "no power" feeling when the wheels are back down again, you probably need a new pump. If you get that "no power" feeling while the wheels are up, then it's probably air.

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The only GM recall I could find that was close was this.
    "2000 Suburban: Hydraulic pump driveshaft could fracture, resulting in immediate loss of power-steering assist; on vehicles with hydro-boost power brakes, the same condition could result in loss of braking assist after the reserve pressure is depleted."

Good luck

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yipe! That's scary. That reserve doesn't last long!

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think I'd have to say that a loss of power steering is better than a loose steering rack like I have that can produce the "death-wobble"

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Death-wobble in a Suburban! Good Gawd I don't want to be in your truck when thats going on.

Goes like this, culvert...ditch...rubarb...corn field...sky........straight.
    Then wipe beads of sweat off forehead.LOL

7. atvrider

atvrider New Member

thanks for all the replies hopefully something will work and hopefully its not a new pump.

8. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had that happen on my 99 Yukon. I was in Dallas on my way home and went to slow down on the Highway while I was going 65-70 and all the sudden the pedal was at the floor! Fortunately it was not rush hour and I nursed it home leaving adequate room in front of me and always keeping a contingency plan in place. I made it home and took the wife’s TB to AutoZone bought a replacement master cylinder core and changed it out. It took about 3 hrs and only cost me $49.50 including all new fluid! Now they work perfect.