1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HELP!!? Pushrods Frozen?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by ryder_kid, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ryder_kid

ryder_kid New Member

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Working on a family member's '02 Sonoma.

2.2 Liter motor (4 cyl). No start condition. Ran well (initially after long sit), father in law parked it in afternoon, and next morning (yay) no start.

Has good spark, for good measure tried new plugs and wires.

Has good fuel pressure and volume to fuel rail... considered that may have picked up trash at injectors...

Then checked compression... 110 psi on #4 (firewall side). Cylinders 1,2,3 had ZERO compression (and yes checked multiple times and tried 2 different compression gauges wondering if shraeder valve was sticking)...

Anyways, leak down test proved air blowing out intake and exhaust like crazy, no noticeable crankcase leaking (I assumed rings were still good considering well running 24 hours previous).

So... tore cylinder head down. NOW THE QUESTION: the pushrods on the suspect cylinders 1,2,3 were pinned between the head and the rocker arms (not in their respective rocker arms' places. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?? Please ote the coolant level was low (about 1 gallon). COuld the hydralic lifters have "frozen" causing the pushrods to get pinned?? The Cylinder head appears in okay condition, as well as the head gasket which I thought would be the culprit.

Now the motor is torn down, please throw ANY ideas or comments my way, somewhat novice to these motors trying to brainstorm for causes, but more importantly any resulting damages and correct fix. The pushrods don't appear bent either, so replace all as precaution? I have new gasket set and reman-ed cylinder head in hand but don't want to throw it back together without proper fix.

Thanks!!!

2. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

inspect for any abnormal wear on the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves etc. check for any bent valves, bent pushrods, damaged pistons. if nothing is found maybe put it backtog;ether and make sure everything is put back together dead on right?

3. ryder_kid

ryder_kid New Member

I'm doing a good visual tomorrow and hoping to find a machinists flat edge (or table would be awesome) to check parts by.

How do you propose I check the cam for wear? Can it be removed easily enough? Or are you meaning some sort of dial indicator setup? thanks for the quick replies.

4. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not very familiar with the 2.2 but I didn't know if u could peek down at the cam and see if there was any obvious scoring or damage. By All means if u want to measure the lobes with a dial indicated the more power to u!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012