1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Really soft steering.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by HolySloth, Dec 27, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. HolySloth

HolySloth New Member

Recently purchased a '99 K1500 Burb. On city streets it feels great, but when you get up to highway speeds you can really feel the softness in the steering.

In other words, if you hold the steering wheel in place on a straight stretch, it will drift to one side or the other in a fairly dramatic fashion. You really have to use two hands on the wheel (I know, I should do that all the time anyway) and pay a lot of attention to keep it in the lane. And I end up weaving a bit anyway, kind of like its really windy...when it's not.

And when I'm driving over the pass if I turn the wheel to corner it takes a moment to respond. I can turn the wheel an good distance before it responds.

Is this just an alignment issue or do I have something more serious going on here?

Thanks fellas,

Dan
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club Dan. This sounds like either excessive free play in the steering, or it could also be too much toe out. If it's steering, it is either in the steering itself or the tie rods ends. If you want to check this yourself, have someone turn the wheel left/right while you lay under the front & watch the tie rods & everything else that moves. If you can't see any obvious play, then while you're under there you should carefully examine your front tires. Are they more worn on the inside edges than the outside?? If so, this would indicate too much toe out, which will also also cause waundering & needs to be addressed professionally.

Got snow in Bend ???
  3. HolySloth

HolySloth New Member

Ok. I'll check that later today. Wife has the truck today.

We had a LOT of snow earlier this month! But it's warning up and pretty much gone. However I got to drive the pass to the valley four times in the last week, so the snow was pretty impressive on the roads up there.

How far west are you?
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Really far lol. w.s.w. of Roseburg & n.n.w. of Grants Pass. If you find a bad tie rod end on your burb, post back here & I can walk you through the replacement & setting your toe in.
    If you have NO play anywhere in the steering, then it's just toed out too far & is an easy fix to set it.